Does any one have an AVM (arterior venous malformation)?

I have an AVM on the left side of my brain and I've never met any one that has one. I have read about other ppl with them but i have never talked with any one. I was wondering where yours is and what kind of treatment that you had? Thank You

4boysandmom

Asked by 4boysandmom at 10:54 AM on Nov. 1, 2008 in Health

• My six year old son had a AVM rupturedthis passed July.They blocked the AVM because it was not operable.He recovering now but he has some vision problems,and there was some brian damage from the bleed but we won't know how much damage till all the swelling goes down which could that upto 2yrs.

jb927

Answer by jb927 at 11:45 AM on Jan. 5, 2009

• MY 8 YR OLD JUST HAD SURGERY 2 REMOVE HIS.HIS WAS IN HIS CEREBELLUM.HES OFF THE VENT.BUT THE DOCS HAD TO LEAVE A PIECE OF HIS SKULL OFF TEMPORARILY BECAUSE OF THE SWELLING.HES MUMBLING WORDS AND NOT MAKING SENSE.THIS JUST HAPPENNED THIS WEEK.I WOULD LIKE TO KNOW MORE TOO....I DONT KNOW WHAT TO EXPECT WE DIDNT EVEN KNOW HE HAD THIS UNTIL IT RUPTURED.
    chisholms

Answer by chisholms at 10:06 PM on Oct. 10, 2009

• sO mY SON Had his avm removed and is back to normal.My little cousin is 5 and they had been playing with my grandmas cane...and my son got wacked in the head...later on he started vomiting and i rushed him to the ER.they did a CT and discovered he had an AVM RUPTURE.They life flighted him to OHSU,and he was put into an induced coma for about 5 days and than the doctors operated.He'll have to have Angiograms every 6 mos to make sure its not growing back...but he made it through!! They did have to leave the back of his skull off for a month and we went home(7hours from the hospital university)...and his brain swelling went down and went back up and they put the bone flap back on and stitched him up and were back home and he just started back to school.We were told he wouldnt speak again or would be paralyzed but hes fine! AVM's are like a ticking time bomb....
    chisholms

Answer by chisholms at 12:37 AM on Jan. 18, 2010