How do you motivate yourself to actually do what needs done to be healtheir?

I have no get up and go. I know about what I need to be doing thanks to the NFS 1020 course I took over summer semester, but now that baby boy is here I can't seem to just do it. It's like life is plotting agianst me and getting the healthier foods and the time to go work out at the gym (student free access on campus) just never seems to happen.
So, how do the rest of you do it?

JadeRDragosani

Asked by JadeRDragosani at 4:41 AM on Nov. 5, 2010 in Diet & Fitness

• Well you can sit around your whole life waiting on that little spark to motivate you... or... you can get up and just do it. One day at a time. Tell yourself, "all I have to do is walk for 20 minutes!" Once you walk through that gym door, you'll find yourself working out for 20, 30, 40 minutes... after awhile you'll start feeling better about yourself, having more energy, looking better, etc etc and you'll be addicted.

I think the motivation really comes when you start to see and feel the change. Until then, just get yourself to the gym!
    fireeyes81

Answer by fireeyes81 at 8:48 AM on Nov. 5, 2010

• I have always wanted to lose weight and get healthy, but never had the true drive to do so. Then my friend and I joined a group that is kind of like a biggest loser type thing; we all put $35 in the pot, and each week we meet up and weight in and take measurements every other week. At the end, whoever loses the most gets the money. It has motivated me to actually get my ass off the couch and go to the gym and to be more conscious of what I'm eating. Maybe look in to it and see if you have any weight loss groups in your area, www.meetup.com is a good place to look. If there aren't any, maybe you should start one, I bet there are a lot more moms in your area that would be interested.
    GavinsMommii

Answer by GavinsMommii at 4:51 AM on Nov. 5, 2010

• I try on a pair of pants that are too small on me now and that makes me motivated to work out
    sstepph

Answer by sstepph at 8:24 AM on Nov. 5, 2010

• Another website is sparkpeople.com. It's got all kinds of motivational articles, forums, etc.
    Last year, I went to go skiing with my brother. 3 runs in, I was about to puke because I was so out of shape. I was so frustrated and pissed off, it kicked my ass in gear. I've still got a long way to go (about 1/4 of the way to my 100+ lb weight loss goal), but I'm off to a great start.
    Pick up a copy of magazines like Oxygen and Clean Eating. I eat clean now, and it's awesome.
    I've also started doing exercise videos on our On Demand (Jillian Michaels are my favorite so far). DS (age 2) exercises with me when I do them, which is so cute to watch, and I feel good knowing that he sees this as normal and I am setting a good example for him.
    Find something fun that just happens to be exercise. Hiking, biking, walking, swimming, jumping rope with the kids, etc. Whatever works!
    Good luck!!
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 5:32 AM on Nov. 5, 2010

• I force myself to exercise and when I do miss I do not beat myself up over it, as long as I am exercising more days than I am not, that is a good start. I have cut back A LOT with not bringing the junk foods into the house, serving more fruits and vegetables and making better overall choices. GL
    QandA

Answer by QandA at 10:54 PM on Nov. 6, 2010

• Sounds like you need to start thinking differently. I know stress can lead you to bad habits but if you can change just a few things at a time will eventually get to the lifestyle you want. Try just changing a couple things in your diet like yogurt or whole grain items. Drink more water. Play with your baby can also lead to good exercise and good entertainment for him. I used to lay on my back and place my kids on my shins and bounce them or do sit ups. Use your imagination in ways to incorporate playing with your baby and exercise in safe ways.
    marchar2002

Answer by marchar2002 at 12:11 AM on Nov. 7, 2010

• I try to wear my "skinny" jeans and when I can't put them on it reminds me I've gained a bunch of extra weight and I need to get off my ass and work out
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 12:49 PM on Nov. 7, 2010

• I try to stay motivated by the thought that I can live a long healthy life with my husband.
    BluDog

Answer by BluDog at 10:12 AM on Nov. 8, 2010

• I been try to keep my weight at no more than 135lbs your YEARS!!.... and believe me is not easy.... ! I never eat huge portions and I am really conscientious of what enter my mouth!! LOL

Monica655

Answer by Monica655 at 1:45 PM on Nov. 8, 2010

• Look in a full body mirror sideways!
    firenicecream

Answer by firenicecream at 9:56 AM on Nov. 9, 2010