Any idea where I can get some help on getting organized?

I need something with pictures or directions made easy. I'm overwhelmed. Don't have the money to hire someone. The caregivers have just thrown stuff everywhere and I need help.. Any ideas?

Prayerpartner

Asked by Prayerpartner at 6:32 AM on Nov. 5, 2010 in Home & Garden

• What kind of things do you have to organize? Clothes, papers, crafts? Who are the caregivers?
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 7:02 AM on Nov. 5, 2010

• Will you be keeping eveything you are talkng about? If not, you might want to get some big trash bags and start sorting in four categories. Things to throw out, things to recycle, things to keep, and things that can be donated. Then the things that you are keeping get organized by how often you need them. Everyday things stay out or in nearby cabinets, storage boxes, etc. Items you need ocassionally are put into closets, big storage boxes, and cabinets. I hope these ideas are useful.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 7:26 AM on Nov. 5, 2010

• Google "tips from professional organizers". I did, and it was SUPER helpful, many websites have checklists that you can print out and use.
    As to the caregivers, I've read a number of your posts, these are home health caregivers, such as certified nursing assistants and nurses, yes? They should NOT be throwing stuff everywhere and you, as the client, do have some say over how they treat your home and belongings. Do you have a communication log that the caregivers use to document what they've done? If so, it's perfectly acceptable for you to include some checklists for the caregivers so they know what you expect in terms of organization and so there's accountability for what's being done, or NOT being done. Your mental state is just as important as your physical state, you have every right to express what you need in order to feel comfortable.
    Fistandantalus

Answer by Fistandantalus at 7:27 AM on Nov. 5, 2010

• What are you organizing? Fist has an idea up there worth looking into.
    _Tam_

Answer by _Tam_ at 3:42 PM on Nov. 5, 2010

• There is also Flylady.com is great for beginning to clean and organize, but I agree with Fist and Tam the caregivers need to be accountable for what they are doing.
    kerijeanbean

Answer by kerijeanbean at 7:15 PM on Nov. 5, 2010

• There are no logs here. Part of the problem is this house was built in the early 1900. There is only two cubboards in the kitchen. There is only one closet in the whole house. There is only two chest of drawers. This has a lot to do with it. No one knows where to put anything, least of all me. My husband isn't any help right now. Its too overwhelming for him. I use to do everything b4 I became ill. Then this time last year I was suppose to die. One caregiver told me to get rid of my stuff so my husband wouldn't have so much to do. She was well meaning. I mean, he has to care for me, cook & do laundry, care for the dogs & home and was still working full time. I'm doing better in many ways. But some won't ever change. Anyway, I need some ideas how I can store stuff. Like I did finally find one of those material moveable closet. or wire shelf for mixer,toaster, etc... Thank you for your ideas.
    Prayerpartner

Comment by Prayerpartner (original poster) at 6:34 AM on Nov. 6, 2010