What's so bad about Obama being charismatic and convincing?

I see all the time that he's just a good speaker and charasmatic.

Why say that like it's a negative when it's part of the job description?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:59 AM on Nov. 1, 2008 in Politics & Current Events

• Aside from the ignorant comments coming from cowards(anonymous), this is a really good question. I think people are questioning him more than McCain because he is very different and something new. I believe some people are threatened by this man and fear him because of these reasons as well. Or it could be these people just don't like him and need to turn his positive attributes into negative ones so they can feel good about themselves.
    TAG2.0

Answer by TAG2.0 at 4:04 PM on Nov. 1, 2008

• Ask yourself what he's being charismatic and convincing about.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:02 AM on Nov. 1, 2008

• Half of being a good leader is having the ability to present oneself in a good light. The other half is actually being a good leader. That being said, no doubt that Obama shows up good on the screen. He has a smooth manner, has nice skin, (funny ears! hehehe, but i can say that, bc i have a set of my own), and knows how to look people in the face. I see no problem with that. So if you are hearing anything negative, its just that the person is prob. reminding anyone who will listen that you can't just go on "smoothness" to decide who is the best choice. Remember that Satan was pretty convincing in the Garden. LOL

lifeasinoit

Answer by lifeasinoit at 11:05 AM on Nov. 1, 2008

• lifeasinoit

I just read your answer in another question where you said that you saw more bashing coming from Obama supporters than McCain supporters.  Honestly, do you think comparing a United States senator, Harvard grad, and father of 2 to Satan is really respectful.

Disagree with his views and policies, but throwing in Satan just takes it too far.

MAUREEN55

Answer by MAUREEN55 at 11:09 AM on Nov. 1, 2008

• To answer the question, I do think this is an important quality for a leader to have. I think it is one of the main reasons Bush has so little support from Americans.

That said, if you disagree with his views, being charismatic is not a quality you'd admire in him.

MAUREEN55

Answer by MAUREEN55 at 11:11 AM on Nov. 1, 2008

• If he were a babbling idiot, his critics would jump on that, as well.

I think it's because they can understand how it feels to be 100% supportive of their candidate, and they take something like inspiring millions of people to be a bad thing.

I guess if we all said we voted for Obama because he was the lesser of two evils, they'd feel better about him.

msmoody

Answer by msmoody at 11:13 AM on Nov. 1, 2008

• Nothing is wrong with it! I find it a refreshing change from Bush, who can barely string together a few coherent sentences. Folks who disagree with his politics, or who are afraid of his foreign-sounding name will criticize him in any way they can think of. Notice how the "celebrity" criticism mostly disappeared when Sarah Palin became a "celebrity" too!

And, to lifeasinoit: you are comparing an ancient fairy tale to real life. It is an inappropriate comparison, I think.
    yarnjunkie

Answer by yarnjunkie at 11:19 AM on Nov. 1, 2008

• There was no comparison made. Simply the principle being stated that being smooth, being convincing doesn't make what you are being convinced about, the right thing. I don't and won't take that as a personal attack. :) But if now we want to debate whether satan is real or whether someone wants to pick apart an analogy....
    lifeasinoit

Answer by lifeasinoit at 11:29 AM on Nov. 1, 2008

• Its NOT part of the job description and there is nothing wrong withbeing able to speak. The fact is that is not what i care about in a President. I want stregnth, knowledge, character and experience.
    I'm not going to bash him but I'd say Republicans don't believe much of what he says because they have different values and ideas. Being Charismatic and a speaker just adds more Fake to his persona.
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 11:33 AM on Nov. 1, 2008

• yarnjunkie, And, to lifeasinoit: you are comparing an ancient fairy tale to real life. It is an inappropriate comparison, I think.

I'm sorry you believe the Bible is a "fairy tale." But, I believe it to be the only truth in our world today.
    Either way, he is a VERY deceitful man. He won't even own up to not even being a US citizen or to actually being very good friends to terrorist. Its like you're other candidate...Clinton, "I did not sleep with that woman." Under oath he claimed that! Wow... The democrats really know how to pick em! :)
    McCainPalin

Answer by McCainPalin at 11:33 AM on Nov. 1, 2008