how do you keep your house smelling good?

i have 3 kids and a dog. i am a clean person but i am always worrying it will smell like a dog. i try to keep her and her bedding clean too to help. i burn candles but i wonder if there is another thing you recommend. :)

stargazer74

Asked by stargazer74 at 6:39 AM on Nov. 5, 2010 in Home & Garden

• If you want to keep your house smelling like " something" burn candles, set out fresheners and the like.
    If you want your house to not stink and smell clean, clean it well and clean it often.
    If you keep a dog inside, keep their anal glands clean and their teeth clean, keep them washed and cleaned, and their bedding.
    You are probably already doing a better job than you think, ask someone to give you an honest opinion of what your place smells like
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 8:31 AM on Nov. 5, 2010

• Have you tried burning oils? I keep this one oil burning all of the time "Lemon Grass & Eucalyptus"

when we get sick I burn Eucalyptus extract because it cleanses the air

I always get compliments on how good it smells, because it's a nice scent, stronger than a candle, but its not harsh like an air freshener.
    DomoniqueWS

Answer by DomoniqueWS at 6:42 AM on Nov. 5, 2010

• Candles and I have the Bath and Body Works plug-in diffusers, which I absolutely love. There are all kinds of scents from which to choose.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 6:46 AM on Nov. 5, 2010

• Try using Arm and Hammer Pet Fresh Odor Eliminator. You sprinkle it in your carpet, let it sit for a few minutes, then vacuum it. up. It has a really nice smell to it and it neutralizes foul odors.

My favorite way to keep things smelling nice is burning Yankee Candles (in all honesty)!
    fireeyes81

Answer by fireeyes81 at 7:05 AM on Nov. 5, 2010

• DomoniqueWS~~that sounds great! What brand of the oil do you use? Do you burn it in one of those little ceramic pots with a tea light or something else?

I use plug-ins, vacuum daily and love candles.
    kksmomma1019

Answer by kksmomma1019 at 7:10 AM on Nov. 5, 2010

• i was going to say what fireeye said. Arm & Hammer carpet powder. It really works GREAT! My kitty litter is in a carpeted room, i hate that....but the arm & hammer carpet powder keeps that room smelling good always, even when the litter needs to get changed! Let the powder sit for 20 min before vacuuming.

Those candles are good too. BUT, they put a lot of soot in the air....

samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 7:12 AM on Nov. 5, 2010

• air it out (weatehr permitting) by opening some windows.

letting some candles burn helps, as well.
    Zoeyis

Answer by Zoeyis at 7:14 AM on Nov. 5, 2010

• I use a tealight-fueled oil diffuser, I favor nice green scents like Spanish Rosemary and Lavender. I also make my own carpet refresher out of weak black tea, baking soda and Blood Orange essential oil (a quart of weak black tea, 1 tablespoon baking soda, 20 drops essential oil in a spray bottle). Nice thing about that stuff is, it kills dust mites (the tannins in the tea denature the body proteins of dust mites). And I make incense and burn it. Making incense is a cheap, fun hobby and there are more than 10,000 fragrance oils out there that you can use, so it's highly customizable. Also, you can use the same fragrance oils in the diffuser I mentioned before.
    Fistandantalus

Answer by Fistandantalus at 7:17 AM on Nov. 5, 2010

• I just see these acorn scented things at walmart and there whole aisle smells good. I think i will get some of those.

kileighsmommie

Answer by kileighsmommie at 7:26 AM on Nov. 5, 2010

• I use Febreeze "noticeables" plug-ins, and candles.

Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 8:59 AM on Nov. 5, 2010