Is the tenant responsible for A/C repair?

We are supposed to sign a new lease. The apartment includes 3 A/Cs. We were told that from now own the tenant would be responsible of the A/C repairs if malfunctioning. Since the A/Cs are not ours. And the landlord added this new clause to the lease. Can we as tenants add something to the lease before signing to avoid having to pay for repairs if needed. The apartment cost us 1630 a month. Thank you.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:50 AM on Nov. 5, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• Sounds like they want you to do their job for them. I lived in a really old place with really old windows (probably close to a hundred years or more) they kept getting cracked from age and the foundation shifting and the landlord tried to make me agree to pay for them. Also I put a small storage building in the yard (not a mounted kind) and they tried to make me agree to leave it when we moved. Needless to say i didn't sign it and we moved.

angelachristine

Answer by angelachristine at 8:09 AM on Nov. 5, 2010

• I have never rented or heard of people renting that had to pay for things like that. I think if YOU did something to the unit then yes...you should pay for repairs. But renting from someone...they should be responsible for the maintenance and repairs. That is the whole plus side of renting...otherwise...why not buy?
    kristinashley24

Answer by kristinashley24 at 8:00 AM on Nov. 5, 2010

• anything that is attached to the property is the responsibility of the property owner, this includes built-in appliances, ac/heat unit, ceiling fans. i would not sign a lease that states the renter must pay for these kinds of repairs. they are trying to pull one over on you.
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 8:54 AM on Nov. 5, 2010

• look at your contract.

also if you broke it then ya
    Zoeyis

Answer by Zoeyis at 7:51 AM on Nov. 5, 2010

• If you sign then new lease then I would say yes. Theres probably no way around it. If it doesnt work anymore you want it cool so you gotta pay for it to be repaired. If you move out and it doesnt work anymore they want you to pay for it as well.
    LittleBirdFly

Answer by LittleBirdFly at 7:55 AM on Nov. 5, 2010

• All depends on your contract. In general I would say no but if you signed a contract that says you would be responsible for a certain amount or certain things it's legal
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 9:32 AM on Nov. 5, 2010

• Yes, the owner can put it in the contract. As the tenant you have the right to not sign it and find a new apartment.

yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 10:37 AM on Nov. 5, 2010

• I would start looking for a new apartment.
    QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 9:49 AM on Nov. 5, 2010

• In most places, even here in Florida, the landlord is not required to provide for air conditioners. It may be that a former tenant put them in for their convenience and he left them, and the landlord doesn't want to pay for repairs anymore. Did he raise the price of the rent? If it's in the lease, you can't just write it in to change that, he has to agree. . If he's already signed and you change it and he doesn't approve, then you don't have a lease. Talk to him and find out first. Find out what other apartments are going for and if you can find something else you like better for the same price.
    SweetLuci

Answer by SweetLuci at 10:33 AM on Nov. 5, 2010

• Can you do without the AC? If so, ask them to remove the units- if applicable. In our rentals, WE cover those items and costs. In the home we rent, our landlord does. In fact, they just paid for repair work.

Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 11:05 AM on Nov. 5, 2010