Do you isolate your kids when they are sick?

My kids are 3 and 2. I stay at home with them but we are very active with gymnastics, bible studies, church, etc. So they are out around alot of other kids like 4 times every week. I have never kept them out of anything unless they have a fever, throwing, or just plain acting really sick . I have a friend who, when her kids have any kind of cold or cough, she cancels everything and keeps them at home for a week. What do you do when your kids are sick with a common cold/cough?

kristinashley24

Asked by kristinashley24 at 7:55 AM on Nov. 5, 2010 in General Parenting

• if it's just a cold then i don't keep them home. if it's the flu or a stomach virus then i keep them home.

princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 7:56 AM on Nov. 5, 2010

• As long as the boogies stay clear I usually don't go out of my way to keep them home. I think seasonal colds are the norm, especially in our area. But I def wouldn't bring them out if I knew there was sign of infection.
    Ctink8189

Answer by Ctink8189 at 8:01 AM on Nov. 5, 2010

• common cold i do nothing. however my DD has h1n1 and pneumia so not only is she not leaving the house but she is isolated in my master bedroom where there is a bathroom, tv and computer so she has no need to leave that area i have 3 other kids that i cant have getting that stuff.
    Tfor2

Answer by Tfor2 at 8:03 AM on Nov. 5, 2010

• Common cold when they feel okay otherwise is business as usual (otherwise, no one would ever go to school in the winter months!) Anything with a fever or vomitting they stay home.
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 8:11 AM on Nov. 5, 2010

• For a cold, I'll will still go out, but I might use hand sanitizer or wipes more to try to limit the spread to other kids. I have skipped doing something where I knew a young baby would be though. It's hard for them to have colds, they need to be able to breathe through their nose to eat. For something with fever, vomiting, etc., I would keep him home until he's been fever free for 24 hours.
    pam19

Answer by pam19 at 10:16 AM on Nov. 5, 2010

• I don't appreciate having even the common cold passed to my kids. I think it is rude. If my kids are sneezing and running, I keep them home, it is just polite to the public. If they have any color in their drainage...well that says infection, and then for sure keep them home.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 10:21 AM on Nov. 5, 2010

• My kids have never had anything more than the common cold, occasional stomach bug (like once every few years) and pink-eye.  Well, we had 1 mild case of the flu in 2009 and that was just the 1 kid and 1 ear infection with my oldest (also in 09) which she got from swimming so I don't think it was contagious.

Anyway, unless they are running a fever or coughing so hard they can barely speak they do their normal thing including going to school and going out to play.  If they are feeling really sick it's pretty obvious and they won't want to do anything but lie on the couch.  If I quarintined them for every sniffle they'd never leave the house, flunk out of school and have no friends.  With 5 kids things get passed back and forth a lot.  They are never sick for very long (usually 1 or 2 days at a time).

justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 11:52 AM on Nov. 5, 2010