What is Diwali and do you celebrate it?

I see that it is on the CM logo but I have never heard of it before.

Okay I see that someone already explained this holiday. So do you or anyone you know celebrate it?

Shaylyn318

Asked by Shaylyn318 at 7:59 AM on Nov. 5, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• Yes same here...I was wondering that too.
    kristinashley24

Answer by kristinashley24 at 8:02 AM on Nov. 5, 2010

• It is a Hindu(and some others) Holiday. Festival of lights. The light oil in clay pots and give sweet and treat. They also in some areas are celebrating the marriage of Lakshmi to Lord Vishnu. And in others it is to celebrate Mother Kali.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 8:14 AM on Nov. 5, 2010

• My ILs celebrate it... they're Hindu, from India. In our neighbourhood, it's also customary for Hindu families to string up white Christmas lights for Diwali... our street is very well lit today! I sometimes wish dh would celebrate more of the Hindu holidays, but he doesn't want to. He's kind of a Scrooge when it comes to holidays of any sort!
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 8:19 AM on Nov. 5, 2010

• We dont but I want to. I just lost track of time this year hopefully next year I can.
    Amaranth361

Answer by Amaranth361 at 12:26 PM on Nov. 5, 2010

• It's the Hindu festival ("Festival of lights" is the translation of Diwali).
    Yes I celebrate every year!!.. Diwali is the BIG holiday/festival for Hindus, but it is also celebrated by Sikhs (which my husband is), Jains and others. Diwali is pretty much a 5 day long festival where the triumphs of good over evil (ex: Rama beating Ravana the demon king) are celebrated, but we also celebrate the birthday of Lakshmi (the Goddess of Prosperity), we celebrate Ganesha (because Diwali is also like our New Years, and Ganesha is worshipped in times of new ventures, and to remove obstacles ), we also celebrate Kali.. We give gifts, we light lamps (this is done to light the way for good, it was done when Rama returned from exile to light his way home), set off fireworks (I can't because I'm in Oregon.. lol)... and just overall celebrations for the next 5 days.

My profile/home page has Diwali info on it as well.

pixie_trix

Answer by pixie_trix at 2:15 PM on Nov. 5, 2010

• 10 reasons why we celebrate Diwali:

Why do we celebrate Diwali? It’s not just the festive mood in the air that makes you happy, or just that it's a good time to enjoy before the advent of winter. There are 10 mythical and historical reasons why Diwali is a great time to celebrate. And there are good reasons not just for Hindus but also for all others to celebrate this great Festival of Lights.

1.Goddess Lakshmi’s Birthday: The Goddess of wealth, Lakshmi incarnated on the new moon day (amaavasyaa) of the Kartik month during the churning of the ocean (samudra-manthan), hence the association of Diwali with Lakshmi.

2. Vishnu Rescued Lakshmi: On this very day (Diwali day), Lord Vishnu in his fifth incarnation as Vaman-avtaara rescued Lakshmi from the prison of King Bali and this is another reason of worshipping Ma Larkshmi on Diwali.

(Cont. below)
    pixie_trix

Answer by pixie_trix at 2:23 PM on Nov. 5, 2010

• 3. Krishna Killed Narakaasur: On the day preceding Diwali, Lord Krishna killed the demon king Narakaasur and rescued 16,000 women from his captivity. The celebration of this freedom went on for two days including the Diwali day as a victory festival.

4. The Return of the Pandavas: According to the great epic ‘Mahabharata’, it was ‘Kartik Amavashya’ when the Pandavas appeared from their 12 years of banishment as a result of their defeat in the hands of the Kauravas at the game of dice (gambling). The subjects who loved the Pandavas celebrated the day by lighting the earthen lamps.

5. The Victory of Rama: According to the epic ‘Ramayana’, it was the new moon day of Kartik when Lord Ram, Ma Sita and Lakshman returned to Ayodhya after vanquishing Ravana and conquering Lanka. The citizens of Ayodhya decorated the entire city with the earthen lamps and illuminated it like never before.

(cont below)
    pixie_trix

Answer by pixie_trix at 2:24 PM on Nov. 5, 2010

• 6. Coronation of Vikramaditya: One of the greatest Hindu King Vikramaditya was coroneted on the Diwali day, hence Diwali became a historical event as well.

7. Special Day for the Arya Samaj: It was the new moon day of Kartik (Diwali day) when Maharshi Dayananda, one of the greatest reformers of Hinduism and the founder of Arya Samaj attained his nirvana.

8. Special Day for the Jains: Mahavir Tirthankar, considered to be the founder of modern Jainism also attained his nirvana on Diwali day.

9. Special Day for the Sikhs: The third Sikh Guru Amar Das institutionalized Diwali as a Red-Letter Day when all Sikhs would gather to receive the Gurus blessings. In 1577, the foundation stone of the Golden Temple at Amritsar was laid on Diwali. In 1619, the sixth Sikh Guru Hargobind, who was held by the Mughal Emperor Jahengir, was released from the Gwalior fort along with 52 kings.

pixie_trix

• 10. The Pope’s Diwali Speech: In 1999, Pope John Paul II performed a special Eucharist in an Indian church where the altar was decorated with Diwali lamps, the Pope had a ‘tilak’ marked on his forehead and his speech was bristled with references to the festival of light.

pixie_trix