My sons schools curriculum is callws AKS this is how it is developed...

The AKS are developed by our teachers, with input from our parents and community. Beginning in 1995, teams of teachers have met each year to review the AKS for their grade level and/or subject area. The first teams reviewed the existing curriculum to propose what was essential knowledge and skills for each grade level—kindergarten through 12th grade—and every course. These knowledge and skills were also reviewed for correlations with state-required curriculum and assessments as well as local, national, and world-class educational standards. Teachers, parents, and community members throughout the district then evaluated the proposed AKS, providing feedback on what they believed to be the essential curriculum for all students. The final proposed versions of the AKS were presented to the G--- Educational Management System (GEMS) Oversight Committee, comprised of representatives from the community and school system,

But_Mommie

Asked by But_Mommie at 8:06 AM on Nov. 5, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• I think they are full of crap. Where I live our county has there own laws and rights from the state for schools. The aks they hold my kids to is crazy. Half the stuff is pointless and its to hard. My kids have homework everynight and still cant keep up. Our county has the highest standards in our state.
    mymestey

Answer by mymestey at 8:29 AM on Nov. 5, 2010

• , for validation. This process is repeated each year to address any revisions or enhancements that teachers and/or the community believe are needed to improve our curriculum. The GEMS Committee then recommends the validated revisions to the superintendent, who presents recommendations to the Board of Education for adoption and implementation in the subsequent school year. With this process for curriculum development and improvement in place, parents can be assured that the curriculum their child is learning in a G--- County classroom will be essential to his or her learning and sanctioned by our educators, parents, and the community.

What do you think of this?
    But_Mommie

Comment by But_Mommie (original poster) at 8:07 AM on Nov. 5, 2010

• Not sure.
    sstepph

Answer by sstepph at 8:10 AM on Nov. 5, 2010

• I have never heard of this before but find it rather interesting. Seems like they are trying to cover all their bases and provide the kids with a solid education but the process seems a bit complicated. I do like the fact that parents can have some input and, I assume, ask questions before it is approved. However, I am not all that convinced that the issue of " world-class educational standards" should be part of the measure. That seems a bit of an overstretch, to me. I am curious though about how much consideration is given to the issue of developmental appropriateness and learning readiness.
    jessa1091

Answer by jessa1091 at 10:28 AM on Nov. 5, 2010

• My concerns are the fact that it is reviewed and potentially changed each year. So what kids are hitting gaps due to the changes? My next concern is that it seems my son is repeating a lot of what he learned last year so is this a result of poor curriculum development or a result of a change that was made? I have been doing research into home schooling and have learned that there are a ton of easy to follow curriculum. Each curriculum had a certain number of public schools that utilize it. If there are so many curriculum out there created by educated professionals to Keep the child's learning moving forward with no gaps or previously covered material (out side of review of course) WHY do they think they can do better when they are constantly changing it? What my son learned in K will not be the same things my daughter will learn in K. And what my so learned in math in K he is repeating in first this year. I don't get it.
    But_Mommie

Comment by But_Mommie (original poster) at 1:02 PM on Nov. 5, 2010