What do/have you done to help this?

Is this ADD or ADHD? Or what?? She's always got to have the last word and if a kid pokes her SHE'S GOTTA POKE HIM/HER BACK. What's up w/that??? Do your kids do that and how do you help them STOP IT???

cat4458

Asked by cat4458 at 8:33 AM on Nov. 5, 2010 in General Parenting

• Thats just kids being kids. seriously they will find any situation to try and prove they are bigger, in charge and smarter. I was like that till I had kids. My girls are like that specially my youngest cause shes use to being bossed around and her mentality is that Im right your wrong. And Honestly Dont be quick to jump to add/adhd. I have adhd and so do 2 of my siblings. My kids so signs but none to serious. My SS goes to a school where they pretty much force his mom to have him on meds or they will fail him. His school is ment to help these kids but there not. All his class mates are autistic so they see him as a lesser cause and just want him to sit and focus. His mom has been to many docs and same result. We all hate him being on meds. It takes away who he really is and the side affects or really scary. So I say shes just being a kid.
    mymestey

Answer by mymestey at 8:50 AM on Nov. 5, 2010

• It would be helpful to know how old this child is, but generally speaking, I don't think it is indicative of any kind of "disorder." She does need to be disciplined for this kind of behavior. The problem in general is that she has not learned to consider that she is not always going to be the "queen bee." Children are generally all about themselves, and they have to be trained to consider others, and that includes the parents. In reality, it should start with respect for parents and their authority. If you haven't laid that groundwork with her, that's where I would start. You can then expand that to include teachers, classmates, friends, etc. It's not an easy thing to teach, so expect some resistance. I think it is the key to successful parenting and to having peace and harmony in your home.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 8:42 AM on Nov. 5, 2010

• That's a kid being a kid.
    motherofhope98

Answer by motherofhope98 at 8:57 AM on Nov. 5, 2010

• How old is your DD? Mine is 8 and is starting to always have the last word. I'm not sure how to deal with it eaither. She is not mean & she does not say it with attitude, just being a smart ass. I would also like to know how to nip this in the bud.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 8:42 AM on Nov. 5, 2010

• I don't know if it has anything to do with ADHD or ADD. My DD does have a horrible time with memory, she is constantly in LALA land & she absolutely cannot focus on anything she is not interested in...I've wondered if that is normal, or if my DD has ADD. She is too mellow for ADHD though...

samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 8:45 AM on Nov. 5, 2010

• She's 12 and yes, SHE DOES SAY IT W/ATTITUDE, SNOTTY I'm sorry to say. I just need help that counseling, etc. has not helped. It's like her personallity???? Not good! We have tried so... many things but maybe not long enought, I don't know??? Nothing seems to phase her. She always knows she will 'get her things back' etc. Well, sometime. ha!
    cat4458

Comment by cat4458 (original poster) at 9:17 AM on Nov. 5, 2010

• NO! That's not ADD or ADHD!!
    That's her being a bully! She's a pre-teen, she's going to be snotty, have an attitude, and be rotten. It's what they do.
    You just need to let her work through it and try to get through to her.
    It may get worse and it may not, but she's becoming a teenager .. It's bound to happen.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 11:03 AM on Nov. 5, 2010