Online classes

I'm considering pursuing an online BS in Health Science but trying to do a little research first.. If any of you have ever received an online degree or just taken some classes from an online college what was were experience like and would you recommend it to others? Which college do you think is best?

lalasmom8

Asked by lalasmom8 at 9:11 AM on Nov. 5, 2010 in Money & Work

• I'm taking online class in the health industry but it's through the community college where we live. I don't trust all the online schools so I went to the college here to see what they had to offer. I just felt better going through them.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:16 AM on Nov. 5, 2010

• I took some online classes from a traditional college. I loved it and it worked very well for me, but you have to be self disciplined and stay organized. I found that the tests were actually more difficult than I believe they would have been had I been in a traditional classroom (this is from speaking with other students who had taken the class in person). But, it worked for my schedule.
    Most online only colleges are for profit schools. Not a good idea generally. I would go to your closest university and inquire about how many of the courses you can take online. Since you are going for a science degree, there may be some lab courses that have to be done in the classroom?

Answer by missanc at 9:18 AM on Nov. 5, 2010

• Local Universities usually offer a lot of courses on-line, that's what I'll be doing.
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 9:20 AM on Nov. 5, 2010

• I have seen results of the "degree-mill on-line" school, the college or university "just getting started with adding on-line classes" school and Thomas Edison College in New Jersey which is an adult college with nearly all classes on on-line. From what I;ve seen, the degree-mill thing did not produce a meaningful job. The traditional school adding on-line classes was cumbersome. They seem to be okay if you are not self-disciplined and need to follow strict patterns. It is essentially skipping the commute but adhering to strict time-frames. I would look for a school that has perfected the on-line thing. For my son it was Thomas Edison. I've spoken to many professionals who got their degree from there and truthfully, my son is not finished but right now he is working on a temporary (likely to become permanent) job in his field of study and making significantly more than someone in an entry-level position. Good Luck!
    tpfacb

Answer by tpfacb at 11:19 AM on Nov. 5, 2010

• I would recommend getting your degree from an accredited state university, not from a school like Phoenix or DeVry.
    HotMama330

Answer by HotMama330 at 12:12 PM on Nov. 5, 2010

• There have been lots of studies that prove online degrees are held in the same light as those from brick and mortar schools. I am going to Thomas Edison State College online. I am currently in my second term and loving it. The courses are 12 weeks long. I take 3 courses at a time. However I do not know about the degree you are seeking; I am working towards my BSBA in accounting. Good luck!
    mammanoel

Answer by mammanoel at 10:47 PM on Nov. 7, 2010