Question for all the mom's about husband's who have austic children

This question is for the moms who have children of austism, Do you notice if your husband have some form?
Here is some of my story , I have a 4 yr old son who was dxed with austism this yr before August. We put him in prek special ed and they gave us tickets for the Annual conference which happened to be in the town we live,YEA. So we go to the conference and the first speaker we listen to is explaining how childrem with austism work and we see the sign for asperberger and I look at my husband and of course he looks back and at that point we relized that my husband has all of the signs of asperberger. I personal just thought he was weird and a jerk sometimes, now I understand why he acts like that and it helps me to understand but now I have so much going on that I'm overwhelmed with questions and not sure where to start. Does anyone else feel that way, or has felt that way? If so where did you start at?

Colinsmom4

Asked by Colinsmom4 at 9:36 AM on Nov. 5, 2010 in General Parenting

• I can say that my twins' autism mostly comes from my side, but there are some signs of ADD on my DH's side, as well. But sadly most of it is from my branch of the family tree (males and females).
    Zoeyis

Answer by Zoeyis at 9:38 AM on Nov. 5, 2010

• I have thought about that with my SO. His daughter has 18P syndrome which highly mimicks Autism and he exhibits a lot of the same signs she does... without actually having the disease. It is very strange. But I will definately be looking into Aspergers because that could be another link.

You are not alone.
    Memigen

Answer by Memigen at 9:40 AM on Nov. 5, 2010

• Autism is the overall spectrum: ADHD, Bipolar, Aspergers, PDD-NOS...are all in the Autistic Spectrum.
    Zoeyis

Answer by Zoeyis at 9:46 AM on Nov. 5, 2010

• Yes - my ex definitely has high functioning autism. You see it in many parents of children with autism. Temple Grandin says that most of Silicon Valley is run by adults with autism. Many families that have children with autism also have children that test in the "gifted" range for intelligence. My 13 year old has autism; my 10 year old was diagnosed with autism when he was 2, but he's always been mainstreamed and is in the academically gifted program at school (tested into the "very strong need" category for pull out math instruction, which is the highest level); my 9 year old is in the academically gifted program at school.

Answer by missanc at 9:50 AM on Nov. 5, 2010

• My husband has some aspergerish tendencies. Our son has classic autism. Feel free to pm me anytime. I'll be in and out today.
    duckigrrl

Answer by duckigrrl at 10:19 AM on Nov. 5, 2010

• My son is five and autistic. We are in the process of having him tested for environmental triggers. Also, a lot of dh's family members have some strange ways about them. But they think that going to doctors is wrong. If I had known all of this, I never woulde have had children with him.
    A.Perry

Answer by A.Perry at 10:19 AM on Nov. 5, 2010

• my son was doing some things that worried me - signs of autism. toe walking. speech delays. etc. so i was researching online and found a link for adults with autism (btw my son isnt diagnosed with anything - i would bet my bottom dollar he is an aspie though) and read it.... my mouth dropped to the floor - there i see this description of ME! basically all my issues with people, my nerotic ways. etc... after talking to my family doctor - we agree there is no point in diagnosing me even though i am 100% aspbergers. i dont need services at this point and it is a lot of work to go back to document things that happened in my life that prove it. yes there is a genetic component to autism, they havent found a gene, but there are patterns that have been documented. like it is very rare to have 2 children from the same parents with autism, you usually only get one, even twins.
    AmaliaD

Answer by AmaliaD at 10:51 AM on Nov. 5, 2010

• Interesting post
    SweetLuci

Answer by SweetLuci at 12:18 PM on Nov. 5, 2010