What country has the best quality of life according to the UN?

– The going only seems to get better in Norway which on Thursday was named by the United Nations as the country with the best quality of life for a record-matching eighth time.

The UN's annual A-to-Z of global wealth, poverty, health and education highlighted in its 20th anniversary edition though that despite "growth surges" in the Asia-Pacific region, it is becoming ever more difficult to break into the rich club of nations.

Oil-rich Norway -- with its 81.0 years of life expectancy, average annual income of 58,810 dollars and 12.6 years of schooling -- has now topped the Human Development Index (HDI) for all but two years since 2001.

It is not the best in any individual category -- average income in Liechtenstein for example is a wallet-busting 81,011 dollars -- but Norway's all-round performance gave it a crushing superiority in the UN Development Programme (UNDP) annual rankings.

sweet-a-kins

Asked by sweet-a-kins at 9:36 AM on Nov. 5, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20101104/hl_afp/unhealthsocial_20101104145621

Australia, New Zealand, the Unites States and Ireland  took the following places in the top five. Zimbabwe came bottom of the 169 nations ranked, behind Mozambique, Burundi, Niger and Democratic Republic of Congo.

Zimbabwe, where in stark contrast life expectancy is just 47 years and per capita income 176 dollars, has come bottom of the table for the past five years.

sweet-a-kins

Comment by sweet-a-kins (original poster) at 9:37 AM on Nov. 5, 2010

• Ask a question, and then answer it yourself. Wth?
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 9:42 AM on Nov. 5, 2010

• Ummm ok Whatever
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 9:42 AM on Nov. 5, 2010

• I thought this was really interesting, saw it on Yahoo this morning. I like that China and South Korea are going up in the ratings, I hope it's not because other countries were getting worse.
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 9:42 AM on Nov. 5, 2010

• Do you agree?

are these indicators what you think of when you think quality of life?

if not, what are they?

sweet-a-kins

Comment by sweet-a-kins (original poster) at 9:43 AM on Nov. 5, 2010

• I think most people in the US have a good quality of life.
    UpSheRises

Answer by UpSheRises at 9:48 AM on Nov. 5, 2010

• I had actually guessed Sweden when I saw the question.
    tinamatt

Answer by tinamatt at 9:59 AM on Nov. 5, 2010

• And if we made better use of our oil reserves, as they have done, we would also be providing a better economic climate for our citizens.
    SweetLuci

Answer by SweetLuci at 10:06 AM on Nov. 5, 2010

• Okay. I don't give much thought to what the UN says though.

yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 10:23 AM on Nov. 5, 2010

• Pretty much the same results no matter who is disseminating the info. Finland is also consistently rated among the best as well- They have the most literate citizenry and top rated schools-

Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 10:55 AM on Nov. 5, 2010