how can i get my daughter to stop wanting to sleep with me at night time?

i started letting my daughter sleep with me because i thought it would give us time to bond? now every night she wants to sleep with me? and its getting old getting hit in the face or getting not enough sleep. any suggestions?

independentgrl

Asked by independentgrl at 11:27 AM on Nov. 1, 2008 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• I can completely relate to this. First off, I shared a room with mine when she was a toddler. Now she 8 years old. However, it took a year of working with her at bedtime to get the results. She rarely goes into my room now ( we moved and have two separate rooms) Anyhow, this is what I did. I first bought a bigger bed for her.

kimchimom

Answer by kimchimom at 11:41 AM on Nov. 1, 2008

• One that is a full size mattess ( some call it a double but the measurements are the same) I kept on saying to her, this is your new big girl bed ( I have a king) and she loves my king! Anyhow, then every night I would lay next to her as she fell asleep. I did this for a few months. Whenever she wanted to crawl into my bed, I would walk her back into her room and lay next to her ( she would fall back asleep within a minute and sometimes seconds) I did this every night, lost some sleep of my own. BUT!!! Now, after a year, she only comes in when she is very very sick. Oh yes, the bed I got her is very very comfy. If we as adults want a good bed and comfy one, why not get one for our kids? If you cannot afford it, buy a memory topper and put it on a cheaper mattress. I got mine a memory foam pillow ( 30 bucks at Wal-Mart) and the memory foam topper off of Craigslist. Since then, she rarely jumps into bed. Good Luck!
    kimchimom

• My DD was born @ 7 months in the nicu for a month so we didn't have that time to bond so when i FINALLY got to bring her home she slept with us & now she's 8 and she still sleeps with us & she can until she wants to stop, I'll NEVER put her out I don't think i could sleep without her anymore.We(my hubby & i)still have our own time not when shes there of course lol she's my life she can sleep in my bed ~
    tntornado45

Answer by tntornado45 at 7:04 PM on Nov. 1, 2008

• THERE IS ONLY ONE WAY TO DO THIS.
    TAKE YOUR CHILD TO THE BED YOU WANT THEM IN AND TELL THEM STARTING TONIGHT YOU WILL SLEEP HERE. AND EVERY SINGLE TIME THEY GET UP YOU PUT THEM BACK. YOU MIGHT HAVE ONE REALLY BAD NIGHT BUT IF YOU PERSIST YOU WILL ONLY HAVE TO DO IT ONCE. BUT THEN YOU HAVE TO NEVER ALLOW YOUR CHILD BACK IN BED WITH YOU AGAIN
    friends4me

Answer by friends4me at 9:29 PM on Nov. 1, 2008

• IDRK if this applies as an answer but when our older 2 were toddlers and it came time to start putting them in their own beds, we got them sleeping bags (or their favorite blankets) and let them sleep in the hallway right outside our bedroom with our door open. Every two or three nights, we moved them a little closer to their room until eventually they were ok with sleeping by themselves. It also helped that they were together.
    LovingParent08

Answer by LovingParent08 at 1:31 AM on Nov. 2, 2008

• I would have to say I agree with the answer from friends4me. She got it right on. You have to be ready to not let her back in your bed and be persist. There are times like if they r realy sick they I still let my 5yr sleep with me so I can watch him all night or I will sleep with him in his bed so he doesn't get confused.
    Mother-of-4

Answer by Mother-of-4 at 5:35 PM on Nov. 2, 2008

• Well I have a 7 year old who would love to sleep with us every day if she could but we tell her when daddy goes to work then you can if you want. She does for maybe an hour if she wakes up to go potty she will climb in our bed. My husband goes to work around 4 and that seems to be when she wakes up to go potty. So if one of you wakes up before they do why not have them there for an hour while you get ready or so. It will have your child in the comfort zone and yet you still have your bed to sleep in.
    moma22angels

Answer by moma22angels at 10:45 AM on Nov. 3, 2008

• I am going through this, and have tried everything under the sun. She is almost 7 years old and is very attached to me. I would like to have my bed back, but als miss her when she isn't there. So if anyone has any thing that really does work.. let me know! She is reading this right now, nosey little thing isn't she. I love her though. So help her and I find a way to get her in her own bed!!
    super33mom

Answer by super33mom at 10:09 PM on Nov. 3, 2008