What would you do?

I have several troubles with my daughter's first grade teacher. My daughter's tutor offered to send her an e-mail to help the communication. She never did, but told me she did. My daughter's teacher mocking me now openly. Yet this tutor is good to my daughter.
So what would you do?

(1) put your pride aside and do nothing
(2) fire the tutor
(3) reduce her pay (I gave her enormous tip, because I perceived her as a very good tutor)...but it will definitely escalate the conflict further.
(4) Something else.

ganna04

Asked by ganna04 at 9:45 AM on Nov. 5, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• I had trouble with one of my dd's teacher in 6th grade. My daughter also had a tutor because there were so many issues with the teacher. First, did the tutor just make a mistake, thinking she had sent the email, maybe she was busy and thought she did it but didn't, simple mistake on her part? Or did she knowingly lie about it? If she lied, find another tutor. As for the teacher, I would (and did with my dd's) set up a meeting with the principal and ask that the teacher be there and discuss what the issues are. If the tutor really did just make an error and thought she sent the email and didn't, and you like her, ask that she sit in on the meeting and give her input. This is what we did and it really helped alot. Good luck

sue118

Answer by sue118 at 10:00 AM on Nov. 5, 2010

• No, the tutor did not do a mistake, she did it deliberatly, she thinks that the issues are minor and I should not pay attention to them. I think that they are major issues and need to be addressed. The principal stands for the teacher, advocating everything she does. so....
    ganna04

Comment by ganna04 (original poster) at 10:08 AM on Nov. 5, 2010

• I would find another tutor. I don't know what your issues are with the teacher but her lying to you because she made the decision that your opinions were not "major" is out of line. She should be working with you on this as should the school. Like I said I don't know the issues that you are having, if they are warranted or not, but no matter what the principal, teacher, tutor and you should all be able to sit and discuss it so that you feel your concerns have been address. Whether that is that you get what you want out of it or that you are able to understand where they are coming from. And usually it will be alittle of both. I hope you can work this out. Again, I would be miffed at the tutor for lying to me, if she didn't agree with you then she should have just told you but been willing to be part of a discussion to help find some resolution to the issues.
    sue118

Answer by sue118 at 1:30 PM on Nov. 5, 2010

• As a parent you are to be that child's (top dog). If your child is having problems and the tutor is nice to your daughter but lied to you- what does that insinuate to your daughter of how your handling this situation? Also, If the teacher isn't working with you along with the principle - Then I along with my husband or the child's father would be going to the school administrator. and if that didn't work next stop: School council meeting. I worked in a job where they had only two rules- Rule #1 : Was the the customer was always right. and rule #2: when you are having a problem with a customer remember rule # 1 that the customer is always right. - You (your child) is the customer not the teacher!
    The way I've always looked at it is if you don't stand up for your child, then who will? They depend on us!
    Love & Prayers~
    Irontontiger

Answer by Irontontiger at 4:21 PM on Nov. 5, 2010

• fire tutor
    dorispierce

Answer by dorispierce at 11:30 AM on Nov. 6, 2010

• I'd get rid of that tutor. She's clearly not acting in the interest of the child. How can you possibly trust that person with your child when she's now shown herself to be a liar?

Wny do you need a tutor for first grade? If your child requires extra assistance, could you do that?

And I'm not sure why you were using the tutor to facilitate communication anyway - that would be your job. The teacher really should have an ethical obligation not to be discussing your child with anyone other than her parent.
    aliceinalgonac

Answer by aliceinalgonac at 2:55 PM on Nov. 6, 2010

• Fire the tutor. There are loads of others just waiting to do the job right.
    Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 6:00 PM on Nov. 6, 2010