Trying to plan a trip to disneyworld for my family. My girls are ages 4 and 6. Do we stay on the grounds at disney or go outside the parks? any suggestions.

We have been pricing some hotels both close to magic kingdom but seem quite pricey. We would like the convience of being close to it all not having to travel on crowded buses or ferrys in case of a melt down. But is it worth it to stay close or get a more moderate priced hotel and sacrifice to time going back and forth.

MandM514

Asked by MandM514 at 9:48 AM on Nov. 5, 2010 in Travel

• No - stay on site! If you stay in the All Star Resort, it's not much more expensive than hotels that are outside the park.

Answer by missanc at 9:53 AM on Nov. 5, 2010

• If you have a friend with a timeshare you can probably get a very reasonable rate very close to the parks.
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 9:53 AM on Nov. 5, 2010

• there's lots of good resorts and hotels around Orlando that even provide free shuttles to the park. On site is more convenient of course, but you may pay for that convenience.
    Zoeyis

Answer by Zoeyis at 9:55 AM on Nov. 5, 2010

• Stay on the grounds. Disney has some moderately priced places to stay (All stars, can't remember the other names) That way you get into the parks earlier, different days, different park openings early just for on-site guests. And it's really worth being there . Just that hour or so will make a big difference. I always go see the ones that are most popular then. Also, even if outside hotels say they will shuttle you back and forth, they only run about every two hours, and many of them stop running at 6pm. So then you would have a problem.Disney has great transportation. I suggest going early morning, then in afternoon go back to the hotel for a rest, then back to the park for night time fireworks, etc. otherwise the kids will be over exhausted and so will you.
    SweetLuci

Answer by SweetLuci at 9:58 AM on Nov. 5, 2010

• Stay in the park! It is beyond conveinient with kids. You don't have to worry about parking, the transportation in the park is often and never too too crowded and there is always perks and characters at the resorts. Look into the sports or music hotel...I remember that they were pretty reasonably priced. There are also some great packages with food cards and hotel discounts!
    melissasue38

Answer by melissasue38 at 9:59 AM on Nov. 5, 2010

• It is cheaper in the long run to pay a little extra for on site. I'm not saying to stay at the most expensive place though.
    SweetLuci

Answer by SweetLuci at 10:00 AM on Nov. 5, 2010

• Stay on site! They provide free transportation to all of the parks and it is totally worth it.
    TALuke

Answer by TALuke at 10:09 AM on Nov. 5, 2010

• Going through the resort website itself you can get some killer deals on tickets for every park and hotel costs. I would really suggest checking though at first. The package deals will save you in the long run. Staying outside the park you're paying for hotel, transportation, and park tickets. Whereas staying in the park you're paying for hotel and tickets all in one deal.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 10:53 AM on Nov. 5, 2010

• THANKS so much for your suggestions. It is alot of planning and costly. Now I need to look into the meal planning with princesses and castles.
    MandM514

Comment by MandM514 (original poster) at 1:00 PM on Nov. 5, 2010

• We lived in Orlando for almost 20 years!.. I can suggest for you to stay around Kissimmee, hotels there are really affordable, plus have transport available to the most parks, no more than 15' drive!
    As far as meals you also have countless places with moderate prices (fast food).... Enjoy your stay on Mickey Land!
    Monica655

Answer by Monica655 at 4:15 PM on Nov. 6, 2010