Childbirth classes?

Which class did you choose?
What did you like about it?
What could have been better?
Will you try a different class next time?

airadan

Asked by airadan at 9:51 AM on Nov. 5, 2010 in Pregnancy

• My hospital gave a class that was a combination of several different methods. I loved it and liked that I was so much better prepared for what was going to happen and informed about different types of pain management (natural and pharmaceutical). I only took one before my first, I didn't feel the need to re educate before my subsequent deliveries.

Answer by missanc at 10:00 AM on Nov. 5, 2010

• been pregnant 7 times, never took a childbirth class.
    however, that does not mean others should not! I think they can be very valuable.
    As a ChildBirth Educator myself, I definitely think that an OUT of hospital class would be most beneficial!
    Roadfamily6now

Answer by Roadfamily6now at 12:59 PM on Nov. 5, 2010

• I took a childbirth class when I was pregnant with my first son. I didn't want to, but my mom said I should and I was 16 so I listened to her. I think it was a waste of time for me. I don't remember anything that they told me and I never found it necessary when having any of my four children.
    amberdy

Answer by amberdy at 4:29 PM on Nov. 5, 2010

• I took Lamaze when I was pregnant with my first child, 20 years ago. Lamaze provided broad "childbirth" education, so it wasn't just learning how to breathe through labor. We learned about the phyisiology of childbirth, medical interventions, pain management (natural and medication), recovery, breast feeding and newborn care ... as well as breathing and relaxation techniques.

Personally, I didn't strictly adhere to the Lamaze techniques. While in the thick of labor, I did what felt natural and most comfortable to me. I'm sure I didn't have perfect hee-hee-hees but I managed very well. ;-)

I'm afraid there won't be a next time for me. I already have 4 kids (2 are grown). I'm old. lol
    chrlstoncharmed

Answer by chrlstoncharmed at 5:02 PM on Nov. 5, 2010