Christmas gift suggestions for a 3-6 month old girl?

I'm going to do some Christmas shopping this weekend, instead of waiting until Dec., like I usually do. I've never bought gifts for a baby girl, (we have a small immediate family, all boys, until recently), but I need some ideas for buying for our daughter this year. I'm sure she'll get plenty of clothes, so I want to get her something else for her age range.

nicksmom604

Asked by nicksmom604 at 9:52 AM on Nov. 5, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• All I ever do for the first Christmas is a 1st Christmas ornament and a small book or toy. They obviously are not going to remember it but a couple of gifts let the older children know that Santa didn't forget their new sibling.
    JamieLK

Answer by JamieLK at 9:54 AM on Nov. 5, 2010

• My daughter was 4 months old for her first Christmas and we just bought her age appropriate toys, DVD's and books. We also bought her a lot of clothes, some bigger so she can wear them later on down the road.
    poptart0325

Answer by poptart0325 at 9:55 AM on Nov. 5, 2010

• at that age, an empty box and wrapping paper would make em happy. They are too young to really know or appreciate what's really going on yet. So any toy would do.
    Zoeyis

Answer by Zoeyis at 9:55 AM on Nov. 5, 2010

• Things she will start playing with once she can sit up - stacking rings, simple shape sorter, blocks, etc. Vtech also has some cool cause/effect toys that they can grow with (they'll start just pushing buttons for the music before they realize which buttons make which sounds and then start singing along with the music)

Answer by missanc at 9:58 AM on Nov. 5, 2010

• Things like the glo worm, one of those activity mats they can lay on, rattles, link a doos, an all soft baby doll, I didn't get much for our daughter last year, of course she was only a week old, but we got her 5 small infant toys like that
    Mom2Jack04

Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 9:58 AM on Nov. 5, 2010

• at that age, my daughter we goo goo over the krinkly cloth books. And if you don't have one already, how about a tummy time play mat?
    an-apple-a-day

Answer by an-apple-a-day at 10:02 AM on Nov. 5, 2010

• cute rattles, small soft toys, a baby book, an ornament.
    duckigrrl

Answer by duckigrrl at 10:11 AM on Nov. 5, 2010

• Keep it simple....at this age it's basically the same for boys or girls. My son was 3 mos. old for his first Christmas and we got him a busy box with things that spun and a little mirror etc., washable books with sounds and/or bright pictures. Really just look for things that are age/developmentally appropriate.
    jessa1091

Answer by jessa1091 at 10:15 AM on Nov. 5, 2010

• I suggest medium size balls. (There's no way to state that without sounding dirty) They have some great ones at Walmart/Meijer that are transparent. They say "They can bounce 75 feet in the air). How high they can jump doesn't matter it's what they're made out of and how big they are. They're great for little hands to carry, and they are great help encourage them to roll over and crawl.

Musical and interactive playmats. One that she can use while she's laying down or sitting up, so that it can grow with her.

I always suggest getting toys that are one age level ahead of where they are. That way they can grow into the toy and not be too big for it too soon. Teething toys are the exception, as those will come in handy for her for many months.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 10:50 AM on Nov. 5, 2010

• I know it sounds weird, but open up a savings account for her.... she isn't old enough to appreciate gifts right now, but if you go ahead and make the point to open one up now and put ten dollars in it every time you get paid, i will help a lot by the time college rolls around. Say you get paid weekly... that's apx. $40/mo x 12 months= $480 x 18 years = $8,640 not to mention the interest accrued... or a high yeild mutual fund would be even better!
    momof2redhedz

Answer by momof2redhedz at 5:18 AM on Nov. 6, 2010