How do YOU like to make mashed potatoes?

CafeMom Team

Asked by CafeMom Team at 10:14 AM on Nov. 5, 2010 in Food & Drink

• I take the potatoes and boil them in water until tender. Then I drain the water leaving the potatoes in the pot. I take a masher and mash them as I slowly add milk and lots of butter to your liking!
    Darla47

Answer by Darla47 at 10:16 AM on Nov. 5, 2010

• Mainly as the others have said- boil, mash, butter and milk. But I do have a recipe for baked mashed potatoes that not only is good, but you can make it a few days ahead and put it in the oven when needed.

5 lb potatoes, 4 cups water, salt. Boil potatoes until soft

½ cup butter
    2- 3oz cream cheese, cubed
    2 Tbs chopped chives (dried is OK),
    1 tsp salt, 1/8 tsp pepper

1 ½ cup milk

paprika

cook and drain potatoes, (can use red potatoes and leave the skins on), add butter, beat well with mixer, add cream cheese, chives, salt, pepper, beat well, gradually add milk.

Pour into 8X13 buttered glass dish. Sprinkle with paprika. Bake 350° for 45 minutes. OR
    Do not bake, cool potatoes, wrap in plastic wrap, will keep in refrigerator up to 2 weeks. Bake 350 ° for 45 minutes.

Answer by Bmat at 10:18 AM on Nov. 5, 2010

• Potatoes from my garden - any variety. Peel, if necessary, chunk, boil. While they're cooking - chop onions, saute in butter til golden. When potatoes are done - drain, mash with onions, more butter, milk, cheese, sour cream, parsley, pepper, just a touch of salt. Sometimes I add fresh garlic in with the onions too. Yum.
    4time-mom

Answer by 4time-mom at 10:20 AM on Nov. 5, 2010

• I peel them. Then cut in half. Then boil. Drain the water out. In the same pot I use a masher. I add a lot of butter, either sour cream, cream cheese or half and half. Salt and pepper. For thanksgiving I add roasted garlic - yummy. I make these the day before thanksgiving and put them in refrig and heat the next day.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 10:21 AM on Nov. 5, 2010

• Oh, you cooking ladies, I'm so jealous. If you want mashed potatoes at my house, you get the little baggie of Idahoan Baby Reds. 1 package + 2 cups of boiling water...yum yum! For instant potatoes anyway. If you live with me and you want REAL mashed potatoes, you go to a country cooking restaurant.
    vicesix

Answer by vicesix at 10:39 AM on Nov. 5, 2010

• I like dirty mashed potatoes. I cut them, boil them and then mix in sour cream and salt and pepper. Sometimes I add cheese, bacon or green onions.
    lovepotato

Answer by lovepotato at 10:41 AM on Nov. 5, 2010

• Yukon Gold Potatoes
    Peeled
    Rinsed
    Cubed/Quartered
    Boil until soft
    Drain
    Mash with Butter and Milk
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 10:45 AM on Nov. 5, 2010

• with a splash of milk, butter and sour cream! YUMMY
    TALuke

Answer by TALuke at 10:55 AM on Nov. 5, 2010

• It depends on my mood. Sometimes I like them with just butter and pepper. Sometimes I like to add cheese and ranch dressing. Sometimes just cheese or just ranch dressing. Sometimes Italian dressing also. Sometimes just plain. There are many more ways I like to make them, just depends on my mood.
    itsallabtthem84

Answer by itsallabtthem84 at 10:57 AM on Nov. 5, 2010

• I use red skin potatoes and I leave the skins on.. I boil them in salted water (most important part IMHO) until soft and then I mash them with butter, milk and a touch more sea salt. I then use my hand mixer to get them really creamy.. sometimes I also add a bit of sour cream which DH loves!
    MamaJasmine

Answer by MamaJasmine at 11:17 AM on Nov. 5, 2010