Do you volunteer in your child's classroom?

How much time per week? What type of activity do you do while you're there?

DivaDynamite

Asked by DivaDynamite at 10:20 AM on Nov. 5, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• I used to volenteer in the art room when my son was in elementary school. It was fun! I used to help the kids with what ever project we were working on and I would help prepare all the materials and then I would help the art teacher clean up. It made for nice memories
    Darla47

Answer by Darla47 at 10:22 AM on Nov. 5, 2010

• I volunteer for field trips and special events. If they are doing a special craft thing or book fair I'll help out. I mainly just keep kids in order and keep things organized.
    onemellowmom

Answer by onemellowmom at 10:23 AM on Nov. 5, 2010

• I volunteer in all my kid's classroom's, more so my three year old who goes to preschool for a few hours a day than my twin girls who are in 5th grade. I do all the field trip chaperoning etc. The fifth graders get to go on a two day overnight field trip to Washington DC in April and I am chaperoning a small group of girls for that. I love being involved in their school!
    Luuckymommy

Answer by Luuckymommy at 10:30 AM on Nov. 5, 2010

• I do 4 days a week. In my son's kindergarten class, I help out with center time, have the kids read to me, and spend time with the ones who still need help learning their ABC's. In my daughter's 2nd grade class, I do projects for the teacher like separating their workbook pages, making copies, helping out with science projects, etc.
    slw123

Answer by slw123 at 12:44 PM on Nov. 5, 2010

• I am a room parent, but I am able to help out every once in a while on Fri. and do some take home projects. Also e-mail the other parents about what is going on in the classroom.
    DevilInPigtails

Answer by DevilInPigtails at 1:05 PM on Nov. 5, 2010

• Yes, i help out at my son's school- He is now in fourth grade and I have pretty much have been there since Kindergarten. I help out now with all the teachers on the top floor (3rd,4th,and 5th) I go in on Wed. & Friday's& sometimes Monday's) I do the coping on the copy machine - And I do the laminating (not many knows how to run it). I also help out in any class that might/ or could use my help. I usually go to my son's room first then I go down the hall and ask the teacher if they need any coping done or anything else. I also take pictures for all the occasions or parties and at the end of the year I offer to make each teacher a memory disc that she/he the teacher can give to their students- Also I try to get a whole class picture w/teacher and as a last day goodbye gift to teacher I give her/him one in a frame from the kids and I have them sign it in their hand writing.
    I look at this as getting to spend time with my son -
    Irontontiger

Answer by Irontontiger at 4:10 PM on Nov. 5, 2010

• I only go to the classroom when there is a party. The reason is because I don't want to disrupt the day by being there. That said. I am usually the only mom helping with the parties.
    A.Perry

Answer by A.Perry at 10:23 AM on Nov. 5, 2010

• I helped out on the 29th for their Fall Festival. I volunteered to help once when I had another day off, but they didn't take me up on it. I'd like to volunteer more, but if they don't need me, I can't do much about it. But hopefully when he starts Kindergarten, I'll be able to help more.
    thatgirl70

Answer by thatgirl70 at 10:23 AM on Nov. 5, 2010

• i do, as times/event permit. there are a lot of parent-volunteers as my ds's school..and frankly, when i am there, i kinda feel in the way.
    but, what i do is appreciate, so its all good for the school and the kids, and my ds loves seeing me 'come to class'.
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 10:23 AM on Nov. 5, 2010

• *appreciateD*
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 10:24 AM on Nov. 5, 2010