Does anyone have any advice to help me potty train my 4 year old? Please!

I am have the hardest time getting my 4 year old son to go poop in the potty....he pees in it every time. He's been peeing in the potty for almost a year now, but refuses to poop in it. He wears a pull-up. We've tried talking to him about it and aksing him why he won't poop in the potty, his respone is the same "I don't know"....one time though he told me he was scared to do it, but wouldn't elaborate. We've tried a sticker chart that when he gets 10 stickers he gets candy...then we did 10 stickers and get a toy...then we tried taking toys away when he poops in the pull-up...then we tried telling him we would take him camping for the weekend (he really wants to go, so we thought this would work) if he would poop in the potty....NONE of this worked. Im out of ideas and could really use some help. Any suggestions or advice would be great....thanks!

waleb1002

Asked by waleb1002 at 10:25 AM on Nov. 5, 2010 in General Parenting

• It's funny because I've always been told that teaching kids to poop in the potty was hard but peeing was the hardest thing for me to teach my daughter. I don't know if any of this will help considering we've had different issues. But I used these things called Potty Tokens, they were just paper "coins", but every time she used the potty she would get to put one in a little "piggy bank" (coffee container) and she loved it. Also instead of buying pull ups (because she was smart enough to know it was ok to go potty in the pull up) I just put her in underwear and when she would have an accident she hated it and I told her if she would go in the potty it wouldn't be as bad. I don't know if this'll help, but let me know. :)
    iluvmm09

Answer by iluvmm09 at 10:38 AM on Nov. 5, 2010

• thanks....i will try anything at this point :) .....we've tried just putting underwear on him, but he poops in it too.
    waleb1002

Comment by waleb1002 (original poster) at 10:40 AM on Nov. 5, 2010

• My son wouldn't poop in the potty because it wasn't a cushion seat and he said it hurt his butt... so we bought a cushion top potty and he's gone ever since.. its worth a shot GL!~
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 1:18 PM on Nov. 5, 2010

• I had trouble with my youngest son. Finally, I just got exasperated and announced that there would be no more diapers, no discussion, no exceptions. When he realized that I was not bribing, pleading or threatning anymore, it became a non-issue. He is old enough to use it simply to get attention at this point. Don't comment on accidents at all and give him a simple "good job" when he uses the potty. It worked in just a few days with my son. And, remember, this too shall pass!
    pastaplease

Answer by pastaplease at 1:21 PM on Nov. 5, 2010

• thanks! we do use a cushion potty seat for him....but I guess I will just have a serious talk with him and see what happens. I appreciate all the advice!
    waleb1002

Comment by waleb1002 (original poster) at 2:24 PM on Nov. 5, 2010