Did you ever travel to China? How was your overall experience (food, shopping, lodging)

We are going in December for the Holidays, and I wanted to get some extra feedback!

Monica655

Asked by Monica655 at 10:35 AM on Nov. 5, 2010 in Travel

• Just curious, why China?
    I guess I'm asking because it's one of my least favorite places, they execute people for political views and shoplifting there. There must me something else there worth visiting.

Wow...assume much? You've obviously never been there or you would know it is absolutely breathtaking and an amazing place to go.

OP- I was there for 3 weeks..Beijing and Guangzhou. It will be COLD in Beijing if you are going there...you will need a very heavy coat, gloves, hat, etc...especially if you are going to the Great Wall as it is frigidly cold at Badaling which is the most popular spot for the GW. T-square is wide open and the wind whips through the as well. Have fun.. I'm jealous! I LOVE China and cannot wait to go back.
    mcginnisc

Answer by mcginnisc at 3:44 PM on Nov. 5, 2010

• Never, but check this out, LOL.

1. Go to Google maps.
    2. Go to "Get Directions"
    3. Type Japan as the start location
    4. Type China as the end location
    5. Go to Direction #43.
    thatgirl70

Answer by thatgirl70 at 10:36 AM on Nov. 5, 2010

• I think it would be an interesting experience. I did want to visit Japan, but after seeing The Cove, I would never give them my money.
    TARARENEE

Answer by TARARENEE at 10:42 AM on Nov. 5, 2010

• I went for work but...The lodging is like with any trip. You can get a good one or a bad one. Hopefully you know some Chinese or stay at a place that has some English. Also keep in mind that there are many different dialects of Chinese so one chinese person may not be able to understand another.
    As for the food, American Chinese food is NOTHING like traditional Chinese food. They cook everything intact, scales, eyes, feet, bones...they feel the more intact it is, the healthier it is for you. There are some American eateries though.
    The shopping...make sure that you know the money conversions are. when I went $1 was worth 5 of theirs. Also, do NOT be afraid to barter. For instance I bought a belt for $5 that they initially tried to get $70 for. They see foreigners as rich...REALLY rich.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 10:44 AM on Nov. 5, 2010

• In the past 10 years, I lived in China alone one year and with my husband for 3.

China is as big as the USA, so generalizations are just as difficult to make about it as they are about the US. That said: It's certainly one of the safest countries in the world to travel in, and one of the least understood.

To which cities are you going? I'll give you suggestions if I've been there...
    GoodyBrook

Answer by GoodyBrook at 11:46 AM on Nov. 5, 2010

• Just curious, why China?
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 10:40 AM on Nov. 5, 2010

• I did that last night, LOL.
    TARARENEE

Answer by TARARENEE at 10:40 AM on Nov. 5, 2010