I need to start business networking again. For collegues I haven't talked to in years, do I e-mail them or call them.

tpfacb

Asked by tpfacb at 10:47 AM on Nov. 5, 2010 in Money & Work

• I'd say call them. That is much more personal, although I know it is more time consuming too.
    TALuke

Answer by TALuke at 10:49 AM on Nov. 5, 2010

• a formal e-mail is better in this case
    caramelH

Answer by caramelH at 10:57 AM on Nov. 5, 2010

• Hm, I understand the thinking that an email would be more formal, but I'm just worried emails will go unanswered and maybe even unread. I would say call. And definitely prepare what you want to say ahead of time, and what you will say if you leave a message.

Ooh I know - if you have to leave a voicemail, don't keel calling back, just leave a voicemail asking them to look for your email, then send an email.

Good luck to you!!! :o)
    FelipesMom

Answer by FelipesMom at 11:01 AM on Nov. 5, 2010

• First choice is phone. Second choice is private msg on FaceBook or Linked In - giving your contact info and asking for theirs. I've reconnected with tons of long ago friends/colleages this way for business purposes and it was very successful. Good Luck!
    GotItAll

Answer by GotItAll at 11:40 AM on Nov. 5, 2010

• Try setting up an account on LinkedIn and sending them network invites. Then once the lines of commication are open, you'll feel more comfortable calling or e-mailing. You can even ask for recommendations.
    HotMama330

Answer by HotMama330 at 12:03 PM on Nov. 5, 2010

• I would also say a phone call first. And if you leave a message, then tell them to look for an email from you with your info. Facebook is definitely another great way. Good luck!!
    jekrmom

Answer by jekrmom at 8:09 PM on Nov. 5, 2010

• Great information. Thank you! I am leaning toward the idea of calling and if I get an answering machine, I will direct them toward an e-mail. I felt kind of funny leaving a message or e-mailing out of the blue. This day and age it is unlikely to catch the person on the phone. So you've all really helped solve my "what in the world do I do" if there is no answer. Thanks again.
    tpfacb

Comment by tpfacb (original poster) at 11:29 PM on Nov. 5, 2010