fat for baby?

my 15 month old weighs 19.12lbs. the doctor said to give him more cheese, pancakes and foods with butter. i never heard of being told to give more of this to a baby. does that sound good. he is just a little peanut and healthy.

sleepymamaof3

Asked by sleepymamaof3 at 10:52 AM on Nov. 5, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• My doc said buttered noodles too.
    Iluvmy5

Answer by Iluvmy5 at 10:57 AM on Nov. 5, 2010

• Fat in babies and toddlers is needed more brain development. But I would probably go more with avacados, cheese, meats, pastas
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 10:58 AM on Nov. 5, 2010

• There's no need to add butter which has saturated fats. Make sure your son is getting some fats - whole milk or full fat yogurt, olive oil (on pasta?), avocado, etc. but you don't need to add unhealthy fat to your son's diet. I don't remember how much my son weighed at 15 months, but at 12 months he was 16 lbs and he's now a healthy 10 year old boy, some kids just grown on their own curve in their own time.

Answer by missanc at 11:00 AM on Nov. 5, 2010

• The nutritionist at WIC that I deal with actually recommends HEALTHY fats (not butter lol) like olive oil, which can be put into anything- pasta to smoothies, about a tablespoon, avocados, salmon, peanut butter, etc, plus proteins for healthy weight maintenance. Also, you have to remember (speaking as a chronically underweight person) some people are just small, and no matter what you do will stay small. If your son is healthy, active, and progressing normally, you can ignore the doctor- not all kids can be "average" weight, many are "below average" or "above average"- that's how we end up with the "average" ;)
    preacherskid

Answer by preacherskid at 12:50 PM on Nov. 5, 2010