C section question!

I have gestational diabetes and its been known to make babies bigger than average... My dr said if he is to big she will more than likely take him via C section.. How big is too big? And how long do they usually keep you in the hospital after?

Rohrig

Asked by Rohrig at 11:58 AM on Jul. 4, 2008 in Pregnancy

• depends on your size mom....do you have a small frame,,,hips? I would think anything over 9 lbs....and with insurance its normally 48 hrs. after the c-section, you and your baby will be released...
    tessab68

Answer by tessab68 at 12:02 PM on Jul. 4, 2008

• I had a c-section with my son. When they took him out he was 9 lbs 13 oz and I heard the doctors say, "She would never have been able to birth him naturally." However, my daughter was born naturally and she was 9 lbs 10 oz. I didn't even tear and I'm not that big.

I've heard of women giving birth naturally to babies as large as 13 lbs. It's my opinion that the whole "big baby can't be born" issue is a myth. Well, not entirely. There are rare instances where the baby really is too big for the mother. However, most women are able to birth big babies.
    amethystrse

Answer by amethystrse at 12:04 PM on Jul. 4, 2008

• Also doctors can't usually tell how big the baby will be. With my son, for example, I was told he would be around 7 lbs. They were 2 lbs off! I have a friend who was told her baby would be close to 10 lbs and he was 8 lbs 3 oz. The doctor made her have a c-section because he insisted the baby would be too big and the baby was average sized! *sigh*

Oh, and to answer your second question...with the c-section I had we were in the hospital 48 hours.
    amethystrse

• I had a c-section with twins and the stay was 5 days. I know both my sisters had a 3 day stay,with a singleton. It is a little longer of a stay then if you had it vaginally. As far a the other question...not sure. I know we have 9-10lb. babies born in our family without a c-section.
    TANYAS2ANGELS

Answer by TANYAS2ANGELS at 12:21 PM on Jul. 4, 2008

• I think that dr.s just want people to have c-sections for insurance purposes. I don't think it's really necessary unless its an emergency. I had gestational diabetes when I was pregnant and delivered two of my kids vaginally and with the third, I had a prolapsed cord and had an emergency c-section. With the first two I was in the hospital for two nights and with my third, 5 nights...Oh and I am a smaller framed person and my dr. told me I would need a c-section if the baby was going to be over 7 lbs....but come to find out I was able to deliver a 9lb. and 8lb. baby vaginally...so, if I were you, I'd get another opinion and/or dr.
    queen_tut

Answer by queen_tut at 12:44 PM on Jul. 4, 2008

• I can only answer the hospital stay question... I was in the hospital for 3 days after my c-section. They took my staples out on day 2 (I think). If you do happen to have one, be really careful not to strain yourself in any way once you get home. A week after I had my son my incision opened and it was a big ordeal to heal it properly. Good luck!
    beckster_01

Answer by beckster_01 at 1:10 PM on Jul. 4, 2008

• As long as your diet is well-controlled, there really isn't a risk. Also, to be honest, "big baby" tends to be a BS reason to schedule a c-section.
    GothyMama

Answer by GothyMama at 2:08 PM on Jul. 4, 2008

• Well I had my first via c-section and let me tell you. It was NOT fun. I stayed in the hospital for 5 days. But on the other hand my second was also via c-section. It couldn't have gone any better. I was only in the hospital for 2 days. It was the total opposite of the first. I would have to say you really need to like your dr.
    BraykysMom

Answer by BraykysMom at 2:22 PM on Jul. 4, 2008

• My LO was breech so I had a c-section and stayed 3 days. It was not fun! It was extremely painful and I never want to do that again.. Gas pains in my shoulders and lots of bleeding that I thought I was peeing. I was druged up so bad, I don't remember holding my baby or even breast feeding her. My hubby had to take care of my baby for me..
    1lilgirl

Answer by 1lilgirl at 3:29 PM on Jul. 4, 2008

• Usually if the baby is 9 or more pounds. I was in the hospital for 3 days after my c-section
    adrianne800

Answer by adrianne800 at 10:42 PM on Jul. 5, 2008