kids and colds

once it gets cold, my boys live with colds in the winter. if dh had his way, they would be locked in a warm room until they stop coughing and no longer have a runny nose. but my 4 year old goes to preschool so i take him and my 2 lo's out to drop him off in the morning and pick them up. doctors say they are fine. i always bring them in bc if they get an ear or throat infection, they pass it back and forth several times. but still, they keep coughing, runny noses, they just aren't good with the winter time (and i live in RI, it gets chilly). any ideas on how to make it easier for them? i can't stop them from getting colds, but i want to try to keep them comfortable so it doesn't get worse so it's not like now where i kept my 4 yr old home from school thur and fri (yesterday and today) so he would have 4 days to relax and not have to go outside. we have drs later to check him out, but otherwise we've stayed in.

sleepymamaof3

Asked by sleepymamaof3 at 11:01 AM on Nov. 5, 2010 in Health

• Your son is probably bring the germs home from preschool. Taking your kids outside isn't what is making them sick. A little fresh air won't hurt them. Keeping them in the warm house all locked up isn't helping. Kids need to be exposed to germs. They never build up a imunity to them if they aren't.

I saw a rash of asthma when my kids where younger with the kids in school. The doctor told me it was because kids don't go outside and play. Everyone has the houses air tight and never open windows. All the anit bacteria stuff doesn't help he told me.

Just keep your kids well fed with a balance diet and give them vitamins with C in it during the winter to help them.

Good luck.
    crazymomof4787

Answer by crazymomof4787 at 1:20 PM on Nov. 5, 2010

• Practice & teach them good hand washing, give them a good diet w/ an extra vitamin C vitamin. Make sure they take daily baths to wash away any germs. Teach them to cough & sneeze into their elbows not their hands.
    momoflilangel

Answer by momoflilangel at 1:54 PM on Nov. 5, 2010