Does forgiveness include forgetting?

This came up as a subject on my show: Does forgiveness include forgetting? After studying scriptures it just states to forgive. Does it mean to restore that person to the previous position that they held with me before the fault took place. Tell me what you think?

cutemommie2

Asked by cutemommie2 at 11:08 AM on Nov. 5, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• I don't think a person can really forget. It is like in court, when they say "that is sticken from the record." REALLY!!!!???? We all heard it! It can't be forgotten!
    dancinintherain

Answer by dancinintherain at 11:10 AM on Nov. 5, 2010

• I don't know how you would ever forget. Also experiences help us learn. If we touch a hot burner we know not to do that again. Forgiving somebody for their wrongdoings is for yourself so you can move on.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:11 AM on Nov. 5, 2010

• No, It dose not mean to forget they need to earn the way back to were they were before. You forgive and leave it be don't bring it back into the spot light let God help you shine light on the new.
    mamagator

Answer by mamagator at 11:12 AM on Nov. 5, 2010

• from the xtian perspective, you could ask yourself, WWJD? on the other hand, we aren't JC..we're human and its nearly impossible to forget certain wrongs committed to us. for me, forgiving another person is more of a setting-free of my own bitterness or hatred for their action, and sometimes, for the person him/herself. its not always easy to forgive or forget..but like the saying goes, 'time heals all wounds'. when you forgive someone, you cannot hang on to the wrong by remembering and keeping it in the forefront of your mind; you'll most likely end up rehashing the event, and bringing old feelings of bitterness/sorrow/hurt/etc to the surface.
    in other words, once you truly have forgiven the action or person, you just have to move on. don't let it bog you down indefinitely.
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 11:14 AM on Nov. 5, 2010

Good Answer!!!
    YeahHer

Answer by YeahHer at 11:27 AM on Nov. 5, 2010

• I have an issue where I have finally forgiven but will never forget!! wish i could use an eraser on that part of my life.
    jbond83

Answer by jbond83 at 11:44 AM on Nov. 5, 2010

• No. Forgiving is accepting that something has happened, and not continuing to place blame on the offender for their actions. It does not mean that it never happened, nor should it be forgotten about. Respect and trust are earned, not given, and though a person may be forgiven of some transgression, that does not give them a free pass back into the same position that they previously held.

Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 11:51 AM on Nov. 5, 2010

• Never! To forgive is divine, To forget is stupid!

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 11:58 AM on Nov. 5, 2010

• No. You will never forget. But when you forgive, you can promise to never bring it up to their harm again.

And while the goal should always be to restore someone to the same relationship you have had with them, that is not always possible. You can forgive, but if the one or both of you are not willing to work on things and continue to behave selfishly or unkindly then you won't be able to fully restore the relationship. Really a lot depends on how the person continues to behave toward you.
    micheledo

Answer by micheledo at 11:58 AM on Nov. 5, 2010

• It depends on how you are remembering it ... if you are remembering it as a wrong done to you and still harbor ill feelings in your heart, then you haven't truly forgiven. If you simply remember it as an event in life, then okay.
    Gal51

Answer by Gal51 at 12:20 PM on Nov. 5, 2010