I have been breastfeeding/pumping for 3 days and my breasts still feel full and painful

pinkie0324

Asked by pinkie0324 at 11:38 AM on Nov. 1, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Try massaging the hard lumps while you are nursing. Do not pump (this will make more milk come in). Use a cold compress from your freezer (a pack of frozen veggies works well).
    CNLueck

Answer by CNLueck at 11:47 AM on Nov. 1, 2008

• Do not pump until you are empty. Like the first poster said, this will signal to your body to make more milk. If you can kinda gauge how much you are pumping, only take what your baby needs (for me it was one ounce from each boob every 2 hours for the first 3 or 4 weeks) You can take Ibuprofen, it will help with the swelling as well, and also as noted above when you are nursing or pumping, massage those hard lumps (I generally found them wherever my pump would not reach...around the bottom of my breast or at the very top, wherever suction was not happening.)

Good Luck!!
    CarolynBarnett

Answer by CarolynBarnett at 11:55 AM on Nov. 1, 2008

• my doctor prescribed a nipple cream which helped with the cracking and pain. you might ask yours if there is something you can have. you may need to pump more (the more you do the more your milk will flow better) .. you could be getting clogged ducts so make sure to keep the flow going. i'd definately massage them. good luck!
    kinzleysmommy

Answer by kinzleysmommy at 12:01 PM on Nov. 1, 2008

• Nurse your baby frequently (at least every 2 hours during the day, and allow longer stretches at night) Have baby nurse as long as possible on the first breast and only offer the second breast if the first breast is drained and baby is still hungry. Don't pump unless you are really uncomfortable, and then only for about 30 seconds to relieve the discomfort. You can also put cabbage leaves in your bra. for lots of good info go to http://www.llli.org/FAQ/engorgement.html
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 1:42 PM on Nov. 1, 2008

• Your baby is 3 days old? I think that's what you meant. The fullness and discomfort can last a week or two.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 1:53 PM on Nov. 1, 2008

• Sounds like you are engorged. It sure does hurt! Like other have said... don't pump until you are empty it tells you body to make more milk. The pressure you feel isn't all milk... it's just fluid. Heat will also make it wose. Use ice after feedings... they have really nice ice pack you can get in the nursing section.. I think made by playtex. Or just good old peas! And take Tylenol and Motrin for comfort. Cabbage works well too (but you will smell like an egg roll! LOL)
    The engorment will pass in a day or 2... hang in there!
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 2:59 PM on Nov. 1, 2008