How do I get Children's short stiores published?

I love to write stories that are simple for my kids to read and we have fun with them. Where can I find someone to buy my stories and maybe fix things with them to make them perfect for others to read? They nees some help vocabulary wise and illistration wise but I would like to share them with others. I have found places where you can pay and have them published if they are already perfect or pay someone to make them perfect. I don't have the money for all that. Yha I would like a bit of something for my stories if they make something but it is not why I write them. Any ideas as to where I can look or how I can get my stories out there? If I did make money that would be great but it is not my push..

mamagator

Asked by mamagator at 11:10 AM on Nov. 5, 2010 in Money & Work

• You would need to send manuscripts to childrens book publishers and hope one wants to buy them
    Mom2Jack04

Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 11:12 AM on Nov. 5, 2010

• The first step is actually to get an agent. The agent then goes to the publisher for you. If you go to the publisher yourself, you will not have any luck. Take a look at a book called the Writer's Market for help finding an agent.

If you need any help editing and polishing your stories, please contact me privately. I have a BA in English and I do freelance writing and editing for a living. There will be a fee involved but we can discuss it.
    HotMama330

Answer by HotMama330 at 11:58 AM on Nov. 5, 2010

• thanks , I am thinking I am going to check out that book. and put a few of my stories down in neat fashion and see if other family members like what I have not just my kids. I would like to put them a book together of my stories checking out different web sites for just that now. Not sure were to go but looking if you have any adcive on that I would also be interested. I am just haven fun with it and not sure . As a sahm it would be nice to put some extra money on the table.. And say hey I made that book!!
    mamagator

Comment by mamagator (original poster) at 1:00 PM on Nov. 5, 2010

• You should probably check out the big name publishing houses for kids books. I can't think of any off hard except for Scholastic.

You might even be able to find the Writer's Market online now. Last I made use of it was in the early 2000s. A new edition was being (and probably still is) printed every year.

If you'd like to build up your portfolio before getting an agent, I know of a few websites that accept unpublished authors. It's non-ficition, I also have a list of places that take poetry.

Again, feel free to contact me directly if you have any other questions.
    HotMama330

Answer by HotMama330 at 4:49 PM on Nov. 5, 2010