what do i need?

I will be a first time mommy soon and i want to know what i need for my newborn. Carseat? Diapers? etc.... Any ideas/tips will be appreciated! =]

BRITTN3Y

Asked by BRITTN3Y at 11:10 AM on Nov. 5, 2010 in General Parenting

• Gas drops, formula, breast pump(if you want to breast feed), nipple ointment, frozen peas or corn to sit on if you deliver vaginally.
    dancinintherain

Answer by dancinintherain at 11:14 AM on Nov. 5, 2010

• You will need to make a list. You need baby wipes, diappers, bottles nipples if not brest feeding . Blankets place for baby to sleep, carseat, have all your stuff bought.. Female products!! So you don't run out or have to go out with new baby. Passy you may or may not use it but $2 is worth having it on hand if you need it.
    mamagator

Answer by mamagator at 11:17 AM on Nov. 5, 2010

• I think My favorite baby item is the Bumbo chair (I think that's what they are called) and the Baby carrier. That way the baby can be right there with you! The bouncy seat was also nice for when baby had a cold cause it let him sleep propped up! a Vick vaporizer is also nice for colds! (we ditched the bouncy seat and got a baby swing for out second child so that she would be out of big brothers way...up off the floor).
    I would Definitely have a baby carrier...a soft one they are WONDERFUL and some days a life saver!
    Congratulations!
    OBImomma

Answer by OBImomma at 11:21 AM on Nov. 5, 2010

• Must haves - crib or somewhere for the baby to sleep, a swing, infant seat, diapers, wipes, blankets, car seat, stroller. That's all I can think of. The thought of sitting on peas is so gross to me. Do you eat them after?
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 11:26 AM on Nov. 5, 2010

• check out www.thebump.com they have a great check list!
    shareleann

Answer by shareleann at 11:35 AM on Nov. 5, 2010

• At the very least: carseat (they won't let you leave the hospital without one), a way to feed the baby (either bottles or breastfeeding supplies), diapers of some sort (stick with size 1 if you are going disposable, they grow out of newborn way too fast...my youngest was in size 3 by 2 months old) and some clothes.  I wouldn't go overboard on clothes either.  They grow so fast the first few months (my 3mo has been in 6-9mo clothes for several weeks now).  We had about 12-15 onesies for our youngest (summer baby), 1 pack of socks, a pack of sleepers.  It was so hot this summer he really didn't need clothes.  Some receiving blankets (the smaller ones are good for spit up, bigger ones for swaddling).  For winter I'd go with warm blanket sleepers.  We also had a stroller because I walk every where and a pack n play for him to sleep in.

justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 11:39 AM on Nov. 5, 2010

• Babies R Us has a fantastic list to follow, and you can register there as well! :)

Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 11:43 AM on Nov. 5, 2010

• All of these are great! Someone told me about the gas drops (a not so obvious must have) when I had my 1st, they were a life saver!
    Baby 1st aid kit, baby nail clippers, one of those nose things...that sucks the snot outta their noses. A thermometer. They make pacifiers (you may want to get a variety of those also) that are thermometers also.
    Oh! And something else I didn't know w/my 1st. Pads. You will bleed for a while (a week or 2) after you deliver & you can't use tampons.

Congrats on your bundle of joy!!
    cheekycherub

Answer by cheekycherub at 11:49 AM on Nov. 5, 2010

• I wish there had been a list of things NOT to waste my money getting! A baby only needs safety, comfort and love. They do not care about being fashionable, having the most toys or the fanciest equipment. Go basic and save the money for when they are teenagers, lol!
    pastaplease

Answer by pastaplease at 1:11 PM on Nov. 5, 2010

• I totally agree with pasta.  That's what we learned after 5 kids.  With our last we only buy things as we need them.  Nose aspirator...got 2 from the hospital.  We bought a thermometer the first time he started feeling warm (hadn't had one in the house in years and we have 4 other kids, I usually just go by touch).  Bought clothes as we realized we needed more (or grumbled about it online and had friends offer to send me stuff their kids had outgrown...which was awesome).  He still doesn't have a crib since we haven't needed one yet.  He has no swing or things like that.  No toys except a small stuffed animal we got him and a set of rings that belonged to the older kids.  He spends his time on the floor, in his carseat or in his bassinet. 

justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 10:10 PM on Nov. 5, 2010