please help...sleep question

We have a wonderful 16 month old girl who has never slept through the night once. She is much better now than she was before but she still wakes up between 1 and 3 times...usually just twice. She is able to self-soothe for naps and before bed. When she cries in the night, we wait to see if she can put herself back to sleep...usually not. I pick her up out of the crib, nurse her for between 5 and 10 minutes and put her back down. I've been doing this since Day 1. But, she's 16 months old now and I'm nervous that she's never going to sleep through if she keeps getting a breast everytime she wakes up! At the same time, my husband and I really don't want a screaming fest during the night. Will she grow out of this? Anyone else respond to their babies during the night and eventually they slept through?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:24 AM on Nov. 5, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Felipe has slept in my bed with me his whole life, and I always responded to him when he woke, and he sleeps through the night, of course he is almost 4 now lol but he has ben sleeping through the night for quite a long time now, wish I could remember exactly when he started. Have you considered co-sleeping to make it easier for you to nurse when she wakes up? It may allow you to get more rest, since you wouldn't have to get up. Good luck, whatever you choose to do :o)
    FelipesMom

Answer by FelipesMom at 11:26 AM on Nov. 5, 2010

• My son was like this. He didn't sleep through the night until he was done nursing (around 2 years old). I told him that he was big now and we were all done nursing. I give him a cup of milk before bed and he has slept through the night ever since!
    OBImomma

Answer by OBImomma at 11:29 AM on Nov. 5, 2010