My new puppy is a PERVERT! Is this NORMAL?

I'm NOT a dog person, but we rescued a puppy from the BART tracks at work. I took him to the vet, he's about 1-year old, not fixed. He was trying to hump, me, my daughter, the vet and my coworkers girlfriend. Now, he's trying to snif crotches! He follows us EVERYWHERE! I'm not used to this, I'm a cat person. He even pushes his way into the bathroom, and tries to stick his nose in between my legs when I'm peeing! Is this normal for a dog? Will he STOP after he's fixed? He only does the humping/crotch sniffing on females. Human not canine females.

DivaNCali

Asked by DivaNCali at 11:40 AM on Nov. 1, 2008 in Pets

• Yes its kinda normal, lol, think of him as a horny teenage male....he wants to hump everything in sight!!

It should subside after you get him fixed, yes. But as far as the crotch sniffing is concerned, women have certain smells....these smells are intriguing...he is gonna keep sniffing, especially if it is that time of the month for you.

If he won't stop pushing his way into the bathroom, well, then shut the door! lol
    CarolynBarnett

Answer by CarolynBarnett at 11:52 AM on Nov. 1, 2008

• Yes it's normal. What I have experienced owning our own dog that I never knew was females hump too lol. It drives me crazy. Our puppy is 7 months old. She just started the humping thing and only does it to my daughter. She also loves socks and underwear. It doesn't matter if they are clean or dirty if she see's them she grabs and chews on them.
    my3turtles

Answer by my3turtles at 11:52 AM on Nov. 1, 2008

• The crotch thing probably won't go away, but the humping might. Sometimes dogs hump for dominance, not to "get off." I wish you the best of luck. Also, male dogs normally bond better with the female of the house, rather the male. The same goes for female dogs, they normally bond with the male of the house.
    dakotaNrye

Answer by dakotaNrye at 12:21 PM on Nov. 1, 2008

• I wonder how old dogs have to before this will stop! I have a 6 month old puppy, and my (adult not living at home) daughter has a 7 week old puppy. Last night I was "babysitting" her puppy and I swear the two pups were doing something that very resembled oral sex on each other! I separated them and distracted them with treats, but sheesh....I was glad the grandchildren didn't notice, because I wouldn't have known WHAT to say if they had asked questions.
    Anonymous

• Get him fixed, It will go away:)
    Albi1623

Answer by Albi1623 at 11:10 PM on Nov. 1, 2008

• As was mentioned above, neutering will help. But normally humping or sniffing is a dominance issue. Which means he is not recognizing you as leader of the pack. So I'd suggest you contact a trainer to help you.
    SalemWitchChild

Answer by SalemWitchChild at 11:13 AM on Nov. 2, 2008