Sciatic Nerve problem...

Does anyone else or did anyone else have Sciatic nerve (pinched nerve really) problems when they were pregnant..if so how did you handle it?
I work on my feet all day and it tends to stop me in my tracks when I'm walking and is very painful! Didn't know if actual pain meds would help since it almost makes me fall when it happens...

brittneyk86

Asked by brittneyk86 at 11:25 AM on Nov. 5, 2010 in Health

• I did to the point i couldnt walk.I would just try to rest as much as i could.Thats all i could do.
    aliceinlove

Answer by aliceinlove at 11:27 AM on Nov. 5, 2010

• When that happens to me I know my hips or back are out of place, so I go to the chiropractor a few times to get it straightened out.

Shines3

Answer by Shines3 at 11:29 AM on Nov. 5, 2010

• I have it all the time even though I am not pregnant. Does it hurt you in your upper thigh near your butt? If so, I found an article about how to stretch that nerve by sitting on something round. I found one of those little 3 lb weights to be just perfect. Whenever I drive or ride in the car, I put that under the spot that hurts. It really does relieve the pain.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 11:29 AM on Nov. 5, 2010

• I do right now, and have with my other two pregnancies, I kind of just learned to push through it and put up with it. But I have heard wonders about using a chiropractor, I know there are some that do chiropractic work with pregnant woman, I am always too worried to mess something up with the baby though so I have never done it.
    -LovingMamma-

Answer by -LovingMamma- at 11:31 AM on Nov. 5, 2010

• also try doing yoga, that has helped significantly (prenatal yoga)
    -LovingMamma-

Answer by -LovingMamma- at 11:32 AM on Nov. 5, 2010

• Thank you guys .... It is in my buttocks area and goes down my leg....just after a couple hours at work it just gets hard to deal with and sitting down doesn't always help! I will look up stretching out that nerve...anything can help at this point! Chiro? Idk...I don't know if I can afford it or not! Will look into though for sure...just scary as well!
    brittneyk86

Comment by brittneyk86 (original poster) at 11:38 AM on Nov. 5, 2010

• I actually had to take maternity leave early because of my sciatica. My chiropractor told me that the only real remedy was lots of rest, staying off your feet as much as possible and being careful not to overdo it. She also told me to use ten min of heat followed by ten min. of cold. I began to improve once I stopped working at the gym - where I had to walk a great deal. Getting adjustments and massages helped as well, but really, I didn't get total relief until my son was born - and I even now I still have occasional flare ups. :( My doctor told me I could take extra strength Tylenol while I was pregnant , but I never found that to help very much.
    EndlessSky

Answer by EndlessSky at 11:41 AM on Nov. 5, 2010

• See I didn't know if pain meds could help ... maybe a little but the nerve is still being pressed on regardless! I really hope I don't have to leave early..I mean I'm ONLY 12 weeks...that would just be awful! So HOPEFULLY i can just mull through it and try and take it as easy as possible! (I was like I'm 8 months pregnant too haha!!)
    brittneyk86

Comment by brittneyk86 (original poster) at 11:44 AM on Nov. 5, 2010

• I get sciatic pain with pregnancy. I have found that not sitting too long OR walking/standing too long helps, so every 30-45 minutes I try to get up and move around a little, for about 10 minutes. I also get some relief from kind of rolling (?) my hips- I sit in a chair scooted back from a desk or table about two feet, lean forward so my arms are on the desk, and rotate my hips, kind of arching and curling my lower back- that helps quite a bit. And a birth/exercise ball is my best friend at night, along with a warm bath or shower :) And it's nice when I can get a back rub from DH ;)
    preacherskid

Answer by preacherskid at 1:00 PM on Nov. 5, 2010

• I suffered from sciatic nerve pain, late in my 2nd trimester with my daughter. Now I am only 11 1/2 weeks pregnant and I already have it. *sigh* I need some relief too, I don't want to be miserable til June!!
    ladysylpher

Answer by ladysylpher at 9:53 AM on Nov. 18, 2010