My 9 yr old daughter has 2 (big) pimples on her face - can she REALLY be getting pimples at this young age? What should I put on them?

This is my first post - I am excited to learn how/what to do with this amazing group of women - but I need help navigating my way through the site! THANKS for any advice! Elaine

GotItAll

Asked by GotItAll at 11:29 AM on Nov. 5, 2010 in Tweens (9-12)

• Absolutely. Did you know that girls can even start PMS'ing as young as five? Yes, the hormones are definitely starting to act up. There are some excellent products out there for that though. You can simply check at Walmart, or even try that Proactiv. I've noticed alot of malls even have self serve kiosks for the Proactiv now.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 11:32 AM on Nov. 5, 2010

• My nieces all had their periods at 10!!! I would dab a little astringent on them. I would also pop them first if needed with a safety pin.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 11:40 AM on Nov. 5, 2010

• Girls can get their periods at 9 I don't see why zits couldn't happen. Be careful with Poactive that young. Many of my clients complained that their skin burned and peeled. Just have her use a regular face wash daily to keep her face clean. I'm sure it's hormonal.
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 11:41 AM on Nov. 5, 2010

• I definitely wouldn't start with Proactive just for 2 pimples. That is for real raging acne.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:43 AM on Nov. 5, 2010

• Try toothpaste on the pimples. Let it sit on the pimple overnight and begin using a mild cleanser on her face twice a day, morning and night...I do this for my 9 year old daughter and it works great...she uses oil of olay cleanser and moisturizer...
    mom2mybabes

Answer by mom2mybabes at 12:41 PM on Nov. 5, 2010

• Do NOT pop them, that will cause scarring. You should go to the store and check out products, that are gentle. Make sure she dosnt pick at them, use something like cetaphil is good.Make sure she dosnt have hair hanging in her face, as it could be bringing oil down and getting her face oiler than otherwise would. Maybe check out some self care books for her to read, that will give her all the info about taking care of herself, being a teen etc.
    minimo77

Answer by minimo77 at 2:35 PM on Nov. 5, 2010

• mint tooth paste drys them out. and i got them at a young age and still get them and i am 20.
    whitney30

Answer by whitney30 at 1:38 AM on Nov. 7, 2010

• I just found some new stuff I love for acne! It's an organic creme from derma e called tree tea and E antiseptic creme. It's made to help with all kinds of things from rashes to blisters to insect bites. I've been using it on my face morning and night after I wash it and what a difference! Since it's eco friendly, I would be fine having my child use it.
    michelle121003

Answer by michelle121003 at 8:00 PM on Nov. 8, 2010

• My daughter just turned 9 and she got to little pimples in her nose too.I think you should talk to her pediatrition about which products to use,since they are very yong.
    VienaMira

Answer by VienaMira at 3:03 AM on Nov. 17, 2010