Teens are sooo diificult...does it ever get better?

Did you ever have to deal with your teen wanting to end their life?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:44 AM on Nov. 5, 2010 in Teens (13-17)

• no, my teen did not, but she had a school friend who did end his life. If you have this concern for your son I am so sorry you are going through this and you need to get professional help for him and your family immediately!
    sue118

Answer by sue118 at 11:49 AM on Nov. 5, 2010

• Big hugs! That must be one of the hardest things to do.

I dealt with a close friend being suicidal while a teen. When his family seemed to not notice and not give a damn, I helped stage an intervention. We (his friends and I) probably saved his life.
    I also did suicide watch with a different friend in my late 20's. We saved her life as well. On my 28th birthday I had to spend the day committing her to an institution and for electro shock therapy. It sucked.

Do what you need to do, even if you do have to commit him/her for a period of time. And commit to therapy for you, the teen and as a family.
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 12:00 PM on Nov. 5, 2010

• Definitely get some professional help. The teen years are so difficult, and can be very dramatic as well. One of my sons was giving us some trouble....mostly just not doing anything, schoolwork, chores, anything, and I had to go into his room one day to look for a note he hadn't given me from one of his teacher's. While looking for the note, I found some very dark poetry, it talked about wanting to die, having no reason to live. When he came home I talked to him about it, he insisted he didn't really feel that way, it was "just writing", but I wasn't sure. I did send him to counseling, and I will tell you that we went through a few difficult years. The teen years I think are the most difficult. Everything is more intense, they want adult lives, but aren't quite ready for the responsibility and reality of it. Their hormones are going crazy, it's just a tough time....it's a tough time for us parents too, make sure you have plent
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 12:08 PM on Nov. 5, 2010

• No, I have never dealt with that with any of my own but I have dealt with it counseling gay youth. You need to take this very seriously and get your teen some therapy. And yes it does get better.

Answer by older at 6:05 PM on Nov. 5, 2010

• I hear once they are 30 it gets easier.
    mmmegan38

Answer by mmmegan38 at 11:18 AM on Nov. 14, 2010