Reporter defends himself

Did this whole fiasco really help push towards an end of combat in Afganistan?

http://www.armytimes.com/news/2010/11/military-hastings-rolling-stone-reporters-110510w/

BlueCollarMama

Asked by BlueCollarMama at 11:46 AM on Nov. 5, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• BlueCollarMama

Comment by BlueCollarMama (original poster) at 11:46 AM on Nov. 5, 2010

• But Matt Southworth, a former soldier who served a tour of duty in Iraq in 2004 and is now the campaign program assistant for the Friends Committee on National Legislation, a lobbying organization for the pacifist Quakers, said Hastings’ story has helped efforts to push for an end to combat in Afghanistan.

“It turned the tide on the discussion on Capitol Hill,” Southworth said. “It really refocused the war effort and refocused, I think, some of the dialogue happening.”

_____________________________________
    This is from a Quaker's point of view. They are anti-war.
    I am too....so I hope he is right that it does push for an end to combat in Afghanistan.
    kerp1960

Answer by kerp1960 at 11:52 AM on Nov. 5, 2010

• By the way, I was pleased that they got McChrystal out of there. He was a fanatic.
    kerp1960

Answer by kerp1960 at 11:53 AM on Nov. 5, 2010

• If you think McChrystal was a fanatic you must have been beside yourself to learn of Petraeus' replacement at CentCom.
    BlueCollarMama

Comment by BlueCollarMama (original poster) at 11:55 AM on Nov. 5, 2010

• Yup....I am not happy with how they think and what they do...and the reason we are sending our military there.
    kerp1960

Answer by kerp1960 at 12:09 PM on Nov. 5, 2010

• Well I guess we can just agree to disagree there. I think Mattis does a fine job of putting his soldiers on the ground before his own political gain, which is why I'm surprised they chose him for CentCom. We can argue what reasons are what until we're blue in the face and probably won't agree on that either.
    BlueCollarMama

Comment by BlueCollarMama (original poster) at 3:57 PM on Nov. 5, 2010

• I don't have to read that.. they are still fighting in Afghanistan.
    BabiesMe

Answer by BabiesMe at 10:49 PM on Nov. 5, 2010