• In the Spotlight:

My son's eye is swollen...what is it?

about a week ago, I noticed he had a little scab below his eyebrow on his right eye. I felt it, but it was soft. a few days later, it became infected. It drained, and I cleaned it up. It became infected again 2 nights ago. Yesterday morning, it was swollen, and I drained it trying to relieve the pressure. There isn't so much pressure, and the infection is down (I can tell from the heat of the skin), but the swelling remains and it has become red and shiny from it. His eye is completely swollen shut. I can't make it to the doctor because I have no car (I don't drive, DH takes it to work, and he has inventory to do today, so he won't be home until midnight or after). I won't call 911 because it's not an emergency. I don't even know if the kids have insurance this month(long story about lies and coverage). He's not quite 1 (11 days!), so trying to keep a warm compress on it is pretty much impossible. Any advice?

eirejade

Asked by eirejade at 12:03 PM on Nov. 5, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I could be an infected tear duct, could be any number of things. I'd be calling everyone I knew to get a ride to the doctors - insurance or not - you don't want to mess with an infection around the eye.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 12:05 PM on Nov. 5, 2010

• There is no one. The closest is 2 hours away, and they won't drive here :( I only know ONE person here in town, and I wouldnt' trust her driving (really old). I wouldn't think it's the tear duct as it's the outer edge (the fading "point" out from the eyebrow part) that's it's coming from. He's acting normal, and there are tears coming out of his eye when he throws a fit (as usual for him being denied something he wants to play with lol). This state is awful for insurance. If you don't have insurance, you're screwed. No one will see you, because it's mandated here. And even if you do have insurance, only one place will take each type. (there's one hospital for every insurance offered in this area)

I've dealt with the same thing around my eye (same spot, too, just my left instead of right), and it usually goes away within a few days, as long as I care for it, like I've been doing with him.
    eirejade

Comment by eirejade (original poster) at 12:13 PM on Nov. 5, 2010

• I really wouldn't be messing around with this any longer. I'd really try to get him to the Dr. My daughter had a barley visible pink dot on her eyelid, the next day it was swollen the day after it was swollen shut and huge. I took her to the Dr. she had cellulitis and if I didn't take her to the Dr it was something really bad that could of happened I don't remember what but I was surprised how bad the outcome could of been. She was on a lot of antibiotics. She is good as new now.

Shines3

Answer by Shines3 at 12:20 PM on Nov. 5, 2010

• Well from what I can tell you he might have a bug bite or spider bite. You must be very careful with this, reason being the eye is close to the brain and because of the infection. My daughter got some type of bite on the top of the eye lid. We do not know by what, nothing happened right away, infection set in within 2 days. I took her to the ped doctor said it looked like some type of bite. The doctor put her on med.'s for 10 days. They are afraid of infection going to the brain because the eye is so close. I am not trying to scare you but he really needs to be seen ASAP.
    sta517

Answer by sta517 at 12:30 PM on Nov. 5, 2010

• If you can't take a cab, or your Husband cannot come home early, I would call 911 for an ambulance. The infection could damage his sight God forbid. Good luck.
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 1:23 PM on Nov. 5, 2010

• I had to call DH. We went after the nurse told me to come straight in. They have no clue, so are treating it with a wide range anti-biotic...nasty grape smelling Mylanta stuff (I almost threw up, I can't stand the smell of grape flavoring--yuck!). I'm lucky DH wasn't able to get ahold of his DM. He probably wouldn't have been allowed to leave. So he has to have 1 tsp twice a day until the bottle is gone (it's 100 ml!), and is being seen on Sunday morning for follow-up.
    eirejade

Comment by eirejade (original poster) at 11:16 PM on Nov. 5, 2010