For those who love to breastfeed...

When a friend or acquaintance tells you that they're giving up on breastfeeding, or that it's "just too hard", or that it doesn't work for them, what do you tell them? How do you encourage them? How do you help them understand the benefits of breastfeeding without getting all wrapped up in the "breast vs. formula" debate?

No bashing please.

Reenieredhead

Asked by Reenieredhead at 12:18 PM on Nov. 5, 2010 in General Parenting

• Its your choice and nobody's business. Most everyone knows the benefits of breastfeeding they don't need to hear it from others and be made to feel like a terrible person and mother for stopping... When I was deciding to stop breastfeeding my first child,.. if one more person said "breast is best" I was gonna punch them in their mouth!!! Thank you for at least wanting to be sensitive but I wouldn't give your opinion unless it was asked for.
    mlmsm928

Answer by mlmsm928 at 3:17 PM on Nov. 5, 2010

• Ultimately it's their decision and if they have made it, any advice, comments will be disregarded or looked at with distaste.

Jambo4

Answer by Jambo4 at 12:20 PM on Nov. 5, 2010

• That happened to me, my sister in law did not want to breastfeed her kids, but thats her choice. I am all for breastfeeding and have breastfed my daughter till she weened herself, and now 28 weeks and plan on breastfeeding my daughter when she is born. But I am not the person that pushes it on people, everyone has there own opinions , and they are gonna do what they feel is right for them and there kids. As long as the mom and baby are happy and heathly it dont matter :) Unless someone askes for my opinion, i keep it to myself.
    ashcrash

Answer by ashcrash at 12:33 PM on Nov. 5, 2010

• It depends on the person, how comfortable I am with them and how receptive I feel they'll be. If they're coming to me in a way that seems they are disappointed about it and could use some advice/encouragement, then I will talk to them about it. If it's someone immature, ignorant, or someone who straight up just doesn't have a choice in the matter, then there's really no point in trying to talk about it. Some people are completely convinced that formula is just as good as breastmilk (after all THEIR mom did it and they're still alive!), and in those cases, there really isn't any point in getting into a debate.
    For me, part of what I've enjoyed about getting older is the wisdom to understand that sometimes, things just aren't worth dickering over because nothing good can come of it.
    vicesix

Answer by vicesix at 12:37 PM on Nov. 5, 2010

• WEll its thier decision. As for my experience. i breastfed mine until circumstances made me stop. ive done both and its all on the parent.
    tinkerbella3

Answer by tinkerbella3 at 1:12 PM on Nov. 5, 2010

• I tell them that if it was 100 years ago, their baby would die if you stopped breastfeeding. It's just so easy these days to stop.

I was bottlefed & i think it contributed to my weight problems. I was the ONLY child of 6 kids that was bottle fed & i am the only one who has suffered problems with weight gain. I recently read an article that says bottle fed babies have a higher risk of obesity than babies who were breastfed for over 9 months. Makes sense, since the main ingredient in formula is high fructose corn syrup. I really think formula is part of the reason so many more people are over weight than they were 50 years ago.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 12:55 PM on Nov. 5, 2010

• Ashcrash- I wish everyone was like you
    mlmsm928

Answer by mlmsm928 at 3:33 PM on Nov. 5, 2010

• Some women are just not able to generate enough milk. My first born was born six weeks early. He was in the hospital for 2 weeks after his birth. During that time, I constantly pumped my milk (so it would not dry up...and then took it to the hospital for the nurses to give to him...Because of being a preemie, he was unable to suck well and even though I could breastfeed him when he came home, he was such a small eater that no matter how hard I tried, my breasts dried up by the time he was 5 months old.

Would you rather have a friend who is stressed out who is breastfeeding her child, or a friend who uses the bottle and is much calmer becuase she elimanated that stress?

Personally, i loved breastfeeding and was sad when my breasts dried up

but it is important for your friendship that you be supportive of her decision. (if this is a person who you are close to and already share certain values with)
    GreenCWAHM

Answer by GreenCWAHM at 9:40 PM on Nov. 5, 2010