Can my landlord blame me for my mice infestation?

We have rented a house from them 5 years now and last year we started getting mice in the house. It is getting worse and I am finding mice dropping under the sink and behind the stove. I hate the thought of mice and we got 2 cats, thinking it would solve our problem. The cats do kill the mice but not all of them. We live near a field. I am afraid to tell the landlord because it is embarassing and I think they might blame me. How can I get rid of these mice for good? Should I tell the landlord?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:27 PM on Nov. 5, 2010 in Home & Garden

• Yes, you should tell the landlord. Mice in a home can severely damage the home. The landlord could very well blame you for the mice infestation... But I would rather work with the landlord now to resolve the issues before the house is completely destroyed.
    xxlilmomma09

Answer by xxlilmomma09 at 12:29 PM on Nov. 5, 2010

• I would tell the land lord. If you keep the place cleaned up, no garbage outside hanging around or food (even animal food) and same for inside then you have nothing to worry about for them to blame you. As you said you live next to a field and if you have been renting from them for five years and you haven't had problems until now then I would speak up. They can help you find a way to get rid of the mice.
    Gnomeofmyheart

Answer by Gnomeofmyheart at 12:29 PM on Nov. 5, 2010

• Lol Hunny! Tell the landlord. They should help you. Don't feel bad, the cleanest of houses can get mice.
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 12:29 PM on Nov. 5, 2010

• unless you leave food out and don't keep your kitchen clean, I don't see how they can blame you.They come in for a warm place to stay when cold weather starts.
    evelynwest

Answer by evelynwest at 12:30 PM on Nov. 5, 2010

• go ask the local nursery about some stuff. you could sprinkle it in the basement and the nooks and crannies. i would tell the land lord, if oyu've been there for five years, they did not come from you or you would have had this problem years ago. we have the problem. a building was nocked down and now everyone on the block have mice. we;ve been putting out traps. do yuou have neighbors? maybe they have the same problem?
    noel1978

Answer by noel1978 at 12:32 PM on Nov. 5, 2010

• I got cats and they got all the mice. The cats do kill all of them,it takes time. I would tell the landlord and tell him. U can try mouse traps.
    dancer

Answer by dancer at 12:33 PM on Nov. 5, 2010

• yes we have neighbors that are very close but not sure if they have a mice problem. The neighbors to the right have alot of junk but I don't know about garbage.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 12:34 PM on Nov. 5, 2010

• Tell your landlord.
    _Tam_

Answer by _Tam_ at 3:27 PM on Nov. 5, 2010

• It might be written into the lease that you have to take care of any rodent or pest infestation.
    tasches

Answer by tasches at 11:01 PM on Nov. 6, 2010