Have you ever been trapped in an elevator?

If so, for how long? How did you pass the time?
If not, how do you think you would handle it?

earlgrey

Asked by earlgrey at 12:28 PM on Nov. 5, 2010 in Just for Fun

• Yes, for about 45 minutes. I had a digital camera with me so I took photos to amuse myself. I ended up creating an abstract oil on canvas and called it (you guessed it) "Stuck In An Elevator."
    tasches

Answer by tasches at 3:26 PM on Nov. 5, 2010

• Never but I think about it happening everytime I get into an elevator. I use the stairs now as it is so much easier than thinking what if I get stuck in this wall or what it somithing breaks and we go flying down. Yep. I use the stairs.
    Anonymous

• OMG, this is a terrible fear of mine because of a recurring nightmare I have in which I am trapped in an elevator...the cable finally breaks and the elevator goes plunging down...I always wake up right before it crashes into the ground and I am shaking, sweating, and breathless. I have a lot of vivid dreams, and some of them are very unpleasant, but this has to be the worst one.
    Anyway, to answer the question, no it's never happened to me and if it did, I would probably have a total meltdown panic attack, so I hope I never experience it.
    vicesix

Answer by vicesix at 12:31 PM on Nov. 5, 2010

• Yup when I was 16 and with my baby sister. She was 6. It was awful the doors kept opening and closing. The emergency button would not work. There was no phone to call for help. It was at the other end of the build of where my cousins wedding was. So I was yelling and yelling for help. Have no clue how long it took but way to long. So since them I take stairs and if I can't I stress a bit when I go in them.
    Raeann11

Answer by Raeann11 at 12:35 PM on Nov. 5, 2010

• Yes, this summer. I was 7 months pregnant & with my mom & 3 year old on our way to the zoo. I am not a fan of elevators anyway (or small confined spaces) so...needless to say I was a bit anxious. I didn't want it to show to my daughter though who was already sort of starting to panic. My mother & I were just kid of looking at each other like "great".
    We pushed the button w/the little fireman hat on it. Luckily someone came really quick....5 minutes maybe & let us out.
    cheekycherub

Answer by cheekycherub at 12:43 PM on Nov. 5, 2010

• about 10 years ago I got stuck in between floor in an elevator in pensacola FL for 6 hours. We got hit by the outskirts of a tropical storm (I forget which one) and lost ALL power, the emergency generators never kicked on, and no one knew where we were. Was a nightmare!
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 12:45 PM on Nov. 5, 2010

• im terrified of them for that reason i take the stairs because i would rather trip and fall down them then risk the elevator ive always been scared and also escalaters i am terrified when i was very young i saw a kid get his shoe string caught in one and ever since ive been scared!!!
    19withtwins

Answer by 19withtwins at 4:13 PM on Nov. 5, 2010

• Nope there are very few elevators here where I live but I don't know how I would handle it either
    Moms_Angels1960

Answer by Moms_Angels1960 at 12:30 PM on Nov. 5, 2010

• Thankfully, no.
    deedle74

Answer by deedle74 at 1:07 PM on Nov. 5, 2010

• nope
    tiddliwinks

Answer by tiddliwinks at 1:35 PM on Nov. 5, 2010