Polygamy- why the double standard?

I wonder why polygamy has such a stigma in our society? There are gay couples, traditional couples, transexual couples, interracial couples. Then there is Hugh Hefner. The guy is idolized for all the women he has slept wtih in his lifetime. Naked women posing in magazines and running around his mansion, sleeping with him, making a show on TV about him. Everyone just does the *wink, wink, nod, nod* kind of thing when it comes to that.

There are men who cheat on their wives. Maybe the wife forgives him and takes him back. Maybe there is a wife who is a secret sex addict, who sleeps with many guys behind her husband's back. What about the 20 something guy who goes from one girl to another girl and ends up sleeping with hundreds of women? Then there are the rock bands and their groupies. Talk about thousands of sexual partners.

continued in reply............

hollyanne31

Asked by hollyanne31 at 12:36 PM on Nov. 5, 2010 in Relationships

• ......continued.....

Then, there is polygamy. Because of religious beliefs, a virgin woman and virgin man decide to enter into a completely committed marraige. They never cheat, heck, they hardly feel right about kissing and holding hands before marraige, let alone sleeping together before marraige. Then, they take on another wife. Again, completely committed, no cheating. They are up front and honest about everything, no hiding. And THIS is the guy that is supposed to go to jail?
    hollyanne31

Comment by hollyanne31 (original poster) at 12:37 PM on Nov. 5, 2010

• How is it not cheating?
    Anonymous

• It isn't cheating because they're all married. But they can't all be married because I believe it's illegal in this country and most others.

It lessens the need to cheat when you can pick up wives and I agree, to each his own
    littlestar85257

Answer by littlestar85257 at 12:41 PM on Nov. 5, 2010

• I don't think polygamy is stigmatized because of it's polygamous nature. It's stigmatized because of the child brides and the way women are often treated in polygamous cultures. A modernized polygamous relationship that occurs between consenting adults in one woman-multiple men or one man-multiple women that can also occur outside of a church would hold less stigma.
    SabrinaBean

Answer by SabrinaBean at 12:42 PM on Nov. 5, 2010

• I think we need to go back to basic animal behavior. A male can "service" many females at a time. They are wired to do so. I'm not saying it's right.
    We as civilized 'advanced' people still see this behavior as primative. Just one way of looking at it.
    Jambo4

Answer by Jambo4 at 12:43 PM on Nov. 5, 2010

• LOL When you look at it like that...it makes no sense right??... The thing is we live in a society that believe in MONOGAMY....
    I believe in a free will... whatever suit your taste...........I like to have only one husband, is a full time job & I like it!
    Monica655

Answer by Monica655 at 12:44 PM on Nov. 5, 2010

• one relationship comes with enough emotional crap.What would posses someone to take one more than one spouse.But if it works for someone and everyone is okay with it, I don't see any harm.But that one group wasn't educating their girls and marrying them to old men at the ripe age of 14-15.I think that is where the bad image came from.
    evelynwest

Answer by evelynwest at 12:45 PM on Nov. 5, 2010

• The child bride thing was happening in only one or two polygamous groups. There are estimated to be around 35,000 polygamous people in the U.S. Many are NOT in groups that do the child bride thing. The FLDS were the ones who were doing it and according to public statements and attorneys, they no longer allow people to marry before they are 18.
    hollyanne31

Comment by hollyanne31 (original poster) at 12:50 PM on Nov. 5, 2010

• I wonder the same thing.
    aliceinlove

Answer by aliceinlove at 12:54 PM on Nov. 5, 2010

• polygamy is illegal in the US; however, only the one's who draw attention to themselves are rarely charged for bigamy. The opposite of polygamy is polyandry. While polygamy seems fine for those Mormon Fundamentalist, like Warren Jeff's, I personally don't agree with it, but it would be nice to have help with the tasks of running a household, lol. I haven't heard of any polyandry in the US, which doesn't mean it doesn't go on. If so, it just doesn't seem to get the press coverage like that of polygamy.
    As far as polylife being a double standard, the laws of the Mormon's Bible was written by a male, Joseph Smith. I would think that he's either totally heterosexual or has written his so called visions, dreams, hallucinations down as he saw them; thus calling it a religion. Whether it's polygamy or polyandry, they both exist. It just depends upon one's own choices in life.
    duets

Answer by duets at 12:57 PM on Nov. 5, 2010