Why do people assume my children have different fathers?

I'm a single mother of 6, all with the same father, my late husband. I have heard comments from ridiculous to down right mean and nasty about my reputation, without justification. What difference would it make when the kids are here, they're mine and I take care of them?

pastaplease

Asked by pastaplease at 12:44 PM on Nov. 5, 2010 in General Parenting

• Because strangers are idiots.
    ballewal

Answer by ballewal at 12:45 PM on Nov. 5, 2010

• sorry i have to agree. people ask me the same thing about my three kids.
    noel1978

Answer by noel1978 at 12:47 PM on Nov. 5, 2010

• Ask them why they are so concerned about it to them directly.You don't have to explain anything to them.
    evelynwest

Answer by evelynwest at 12:47 PM on Nov. 5, 2010

• Because people love to judge and make inaccurate assumptions before even finding out the facts and getting to know the person! It's ridiculous! Just because you have six kids, I would not automatically assume they have different baby daddies. People are just so rude nowadays! As long as you're taking care of them, why does it matter who their daddy is?
    poptart0325

Answer by poptart0325 at 12:48 PM on Nov. 5, 2010

• People tend to think anymore that the more children you have as a single parent the more 'loose' you are. It's a ridiculous stereotype that isn't even founded on much. They are judging out of ignorance. You know what's true, you know who their dad is, so don't worry yourself about what they think.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 12:48 PM on Nov. 5, 2010

• Because people can be very harsh, insensitive, mean, and seem to want about others....I'm sorry, mama, just hold your head high, love your children, and the heck with others because what they think doesn't matter.....I once heard it said, and have found it to be so true: When a person talks about another, they tell me very little about the person they are talking about, but they tell me much about themselves... take care...you have a beautiful family and are very blessed...
    Anna92464

Answer by Anna92464 at 12:55 PM on Nov. 5, 2010

• A lot of people have asked me if all my kids are from the same father. We have 2 older kids ages 25 & 19 & then we have a 4 & a 5yr old. Not really sure why it would be assumed that they are from different fathers except maybe they think I'm on a second marriage & we decided to have kids together... IDK.
    ghostwriter777

Answer by ghostwriter777 at 1:01 PM on Nov. 5, 2010

• I am the youngest of 7,People will be like wow and all of you have the same parents.LOL I am like yeah,my parent were together and they asked it.People are just stupid
    bucky77

Answer by bucky77 at 2:08 PM on Nov. 5, 2010

• Its because of our society. A LOT of women who are not married and have a few children generally have at least 2 different fathers. Especially if they are young mothers. I personally try not to make assumptions. But looking at the statistics it is easy to see why people will believe that it is the way it is.

I am married to my children's father and only have 2 kids. But I still get those "knowing" looks from some people when they see us all together. My DH, myself and our son all have brown hair, our daughter has dirty blond. I have baby/kid pics of both myself and my DH and want to show them to people so they can see I had blond hair until I was 4 and my DH had red until he was 15. But some people would rather imagine drama (which is exciting) than live in reality (which isnt always exciting).
    Jwick

Answer by Jwick at 2:38 PM on Nov. 5, 2010

• People are dumb. I'm sorry for your loss! Enjoy your kids!
    mlmsm928

Answer by mlmsm928 at 3:14 PM on Nov. 5, 2010