Do you think it would be unfair to make a law that requires smokers to keep a certain distance from children when they smoke in public places?

Not that it would ever happen, but I hear so many people defending their rights to pollute the air we breathe, I just wonder if it's really fair for moms or anyone who wants to be healthy to have to move away, or if it would be more fair for the person choosing to smoke to have to move away?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:48 PM on Nov. 5, 2010 in Parenting Debate

• I smoke....but not in my house,car or any place that my dd or any other child is going to be.....i hate seeing parents who smoke pushing their kids on the swings right into the smoke.....if i feel the ''need' for a smoke when were out then i move as far as possible...or i wait til i get home and smoke on my patio....other ppl esp children shouldnt hafta suffer because i choose to pollute my own lungs
    macksmom716

Answer by macksmom716 at 4:36 PM on Nov. 5, 2010

• Not unfair. They can create their own cancer at home. Kids shouldn't have to endure it or deal with it if they have asthma.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 12:49 PM on Nov. 5, 2010

• Nope. I think it's great that amusement parks like Disneyland have "designated smoking areas". I don't want to be waiting in line with my kid whose face is at the same height as the cigarette being held by someone next to us. Even when I smoked I always made a point to stay away from children.
    jessicarae787

Answer by jessicarae787 at 12:51 PM on Nov. 5, 2010

• I frequently as people to put it out when I am in a public place (like a playground) with my kids. They have a filter, my kids do not. (and this is coming from someone who smoked for 12 years, and still does on occasion. I refuse to smoke in the presence of people who do not smoke)
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 12:51 PM on Nov. 5, 2010

• You can't smoke inside in public places where I live. I don't see why there couldn't be "non-smoking" areas outside as well.
    ballewal

Answer by ballewal at 12:50 PM on Nov. 5, 2010

• No, if it harms other people health wise it should not be exposed to children. The child doesn't have the choice whether or not to breath smoke.
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 12:51 PM on Nov. 5, 2010

• I don't think it's unfair either. If they want to smoke, good for them but they should be the ones that have to move away from the children, not the other way around! They should keep their distance. I'm not a smoker and I don't have asthma, but the smell of smoke gives me a terrible headache and makes me extremely nauseous, so it makes me sick to be around someone that's smoking and I would prefer it if they moved away from me out of consideration for my feelings instead of me moving away from them due to my getting sick.
    poptart0325

Answer by poptart0325 at 12:52 PM on Nov. 5, 2010

• Not at all. Smoking is harmful to children (and adults). Children need to be protected.

earlgrey

Answer by earlgrey at 12:59 PM on Nov. 5, 2010

• Not unfair at all!
    motherofpearls

Answer by motherofpearls at 12:53 PM on Nov. 5, 2010

• Yeah, I hate when smokers just throw the butts on the ground, or just throw them out their window. It's littering, why they above the law?
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 12:54 PM on Nov. 5, 2010