Should I say something to her?

My son is autistic and rides the school bus with other special needs kids. My neighbor's son rides it as well. he goes to 4K for a speech impediment. There's this little guy who rides the bus who has Down's. Every morning he's all smiles and he waves to me as the bus pulls away. Sweet little guy! My neighbor lady always gives him dirty looks and refuses to acknowledge him when he says hi to her. You can see his face fall when she won't say hi. She seems to be one of these people who look down on people with special needs.Given that her kid has issues too,she quite the hypocrite. I can't see why she can't just say hi to this sweet little 5 year old. She's said good morning to the "normal" looking kids. She gets that same look on her face when my son talks to her. I've tried saying how cute the little Downs boy is,and she just hmmph's. Its been eating at me to put her in her place.

Asked by butterflyblue19 at 12:51 PM on Nov. 5, 2010 in Relationships

• i wouldnt bother honey.. even if you say something it wont change her or her thoughts... my advice is to let her be that way.. love your child and love that sweet little hi you get in the mornings.. its our blessing to enjoy GOD's blessings :)
    Ross2010

Answer by Ross2010 at 8:16 PM on Nov. 5, 2010

• Do it. So she might get mad at you.. but at least you've helped a child.
    Jambo4

Answer by Jambo4 at 12:52 PM on Nov. 5, 2010

• I know people might say you should just brush that off but it really gets to me when someone doesn't acknowledge a child like that. I would have to say something.

My son likes to say hi to store clerks and if he sees someone in the store just look over at us, another customer or whoever, he waves and says hi. If they doesn't respond, his face falls, he turns red and looks at the ground. I make it a point to say to him that he is being a good boy with good manners and only someone who is rude ignores being spoken to.
    wildflowers25

Answer by wildflowers25 at 12:56 PM on Nov. 5, 2010

• Honestly, if I were you, I would simply ask her why she seems to have a problem with some special needs children when she has a special needs child of her own. I would also quickly point out, some people will probably treat her son the way she is treating that little boy, How does she think she will like it when the shoe is on the other foot?
    mommy11260

Answer by mommy11260 at 1:01 PM on Nov. 5, 2010

• wow, butterfly..i can't believe you haven't already handled her! the next time it happens, i'd probably look her straight in the eye and say, ''isn't it awesome! such a loving, darling child to be so friendly to strangers like you, who don't care to give him the time of day to even wave back!! how does your child feel when people dismiss him without a thought, like he's unworthy of their precious time?"...i'd love to say it with a smile, but i'm no poker face. she'd be able to tell i was about to stomp her.
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 1:11 PM on Nov. 5, 2010

• i'd say something. my 4 year old is always upset when a stranger doesn't return his "hi" and he doesn't have any issues. if you are close to this neighbor, then talk to her, if not, i would just look her flat in the face and tell her off "it's been way too long"
    sleepymamaof3

Answer by sleepymamaof3 at 2:51 PM on Nov. 5, 2010

• if there was a nice quick witted way to something that wouldn't offend her i would say something but not sure what that would be. maybe something like "if only everybody was as cheerful and sweet to others as my little boy is." this won't be directed at her per say but maybe she will still get the point. i don't like it when poor little kids special needs or not are treated with such ugliness.
    melody77

Answer by melody77 at 12:56 PM on Nov. 5, 2010

• I would.. why not... maybe it will wake her up to her rudeness and close mindedness
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 12:56 PM on Nov. 5, 2010

• or that little boy. which one you want to use as the example that she should be setting. what a witch
    melody77

Answer by melody77 at 12:57 PM on Nov. 5, 2010

• we had something happen like that at the library. my middle one, she confronted the woman and almost had her in tears. it's hard not to hear a very loud six year old who hates people being rude. and she will tell you.
    i do have to ask this, do oyu talk to this neighbor? maybe she's that way because she don't understand things. ask her over for a cup of coffee and then ask her. she's rude, so kill her with kindness.
    noel1978

Answer by noel1978 at 12:58 PM on Nov. 5, 2010