Should we stay in Afghanistan to help with diplomatic ties to India?

WASHINGTON (AFP) – US Senator John McCain appealed Friday to President Barack Obama to stay engaged in Afghanistan, warning that a hasty troop withdrawal would jeopardize warming ties with India.

The senior Republican senator from Arizona pledged support for India across the US political divide in an address delivered just as Obama flew off for a trip meant to breathe new life into the relationship.

But McCain, whose Republican Party made strong gains in congressional elections Tuesday, warned Obama against pulling out of Afghanistan "before positive conditions can be shaped and sustained on the ground."

The consequences would "certainly be terrible for us, but they will even be worse for India, which will have a terrorist safe haven on its periphery," McCain said at the Carnegie Endowment for International Peace.

sweet-a-kins

Asked by sweet-a-kins at 12:56 PM on Nov. 5, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• No, Afghanistan is a waste of time and lives.
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 3:52 PM on Nov. 5, 2010

• Wow. I am even more happy now that McCain was not Elected in 2008. What the heck?
    kerp1960

Answer by kerp1960 at 1:34 PM on Nov. 5, 2010

• The only reason we should stay in Afghanistan is to win. Stop letting the Congress run the war (did we learn nothing from Vietnam?), let the generals run the war to win it, and then come home.
    jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 1:40 PM on Nov. 5, 2010

• Kind of a loaded question! With everyone talking about world wide everything, how do we pull out? The people of Afghanistan have come to rely on our soldiers for protection as their own government is so unstable. India is dependent upon us for many economic reasons and the fact they have been building their own nuclear weaponry etc. So do we risk not protecting them and eventually seeing us an enemy and not an ally? Then too, how much of our own are we willing to sacrafice for what may not be any insurance, regardless? Countries like India, Russian, and Korea will essentially sell themselves to highest bidder, be it the U.S or the Taliban and Al Queada.
    jessa1091

Answer by jessa1091 at 1:52 PM on Nov. 5, 2010

• I really think we should let other countries handle their own problems. But I'lll be the first to admit that since I'm not a general..I don't know all the facts and details that I need to make an informed opinion.
    brandyj

Answer by brandyj at 3:15 PM on Nov. 5, 2010

• My personal view.

India's biggest concern is Pakistan, not Afghanistan. And that involveseverything from : terrorism, boundary/land/partition disputes, to water supply disputes.

We aren't doing much of anything in regards to Pakistan that improves India/Pakistan relations. In fact, India/Pakistan relations continue to be more and more strained. The fact that our government brokered nuclear deal with both did not help either.

If our government is hoping that our involvement in Afghanistan will curtail things in Pakistan, I believe they are sadly mistaken.
    pixie_trix

Answer by pixie_trix at 3:41 PM on Nov. 5, 2010

• http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20101105/pl_afp/usindiadiplomacyafghanistanpakistanmccain_20101105163437

"I can think of few more immediate ways to damage the US-India relationship -- and to convince India that the United States is both a declining power and an unreliable partner -- than for us to pull out of Afghanistan before achieving our goals," McCain said.

Obama has tripled US forces in Afghanistan since defeating McCain for the White House, pledging to root out the Taliban whose extremist regime was ousted by US-led forces following the September 11, 2001 attacks.

But Obama also in December set a goal of starting to withdraw troops in mid-2011 depending on conditions on the ground.

sweet-a-kins

Comment by sweet-a-kins (original poster) at 12:56 PM on Nov. 5, 2010

• McCain was the GOP sacrificial lamb for the 2008 election. For some reason, he's still talking. I don't know why. Sometimes I agree with him, sometimes I don't.

I'm not sure about this one. Has India asked us to stay in Afghanistan to protect them? One would think they would know better than some dude in AZ what is going to piss them off. If it's just a random thought, then no, we should stay our course.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 1:08 PM on Nov. 5, 2010

• Let the military officials handle this one.
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 1:22 PM on Nov. 5, 2010

What are we winning?
    sweet-a-kins

Comment by sweet-a-kins (original poster) at 1:46 PM on Nov. 5, 2010