If a person really wants to save the environment, shouldn't they be vegetarian?

Even the organic meat industry displaces large amounts of natural resources and produces waste that is harmful to the environment. I heard it some places there is a tax on COW FARTS!

I googled it for a good article, but there are SO MANY, I had a hard time choosing. Here's just one:
http://www.thedailygreen.com/going-green/community-tips/meat-industry-eat-lower-food-chain_

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:00 PM on Nov. 5, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• Thanks Sister. It's a lot of work, but I deliberately walked away from a job working for someone else to work for 'us' ~ and it has taken years to learn how to do some of it. DH and I both grew up in farming areas, and with family that farmed, and there is still SO much to learn. We wanted to live sustainably, and we also wanted to be self sufficient. There's no way that I know of for anyone to be 100% self sufficient, but we're at about 75% ... give or take. I can say that it's nice to have a monthly grocery budget that is less than $20 most months. I even make pizza dough and freeze it ... so no, no one has to give up convenience if they are willing to work a little more at home. I also know that the food I produce (and the meat animals I raise) are far healthier than anything available in stores. By spring we will also be completely off grid ... except for the internet connection. I won't miss the electric bill at all.
    Farmlady09

Answer by Farmlady09 at 8:27 PM on Nov. 5, 2010

• No, if a person really wanted to save the environment they'd die. No matter what diet a human consumes, they have an excessive environmental footprint. How do you think all those beans and veggies get to the store? People don't really care about the environment, they just pay it lipservice while causing themselves as little inconvenience as possible. If they really cared, they'd give up their cars, homes, electricity, processed food, synthetic fibers, and pretty much anything else invented after about 1700.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 1:03 PM on Nov. 5, 2010

• People are part of a natural food chain. People eat meat and veggies just like many other animals. It is part of the natural cycle of things. I understand people who choose to be vegan or vegetarian but it is not a requirement of a environmentally conscious person. Aiming to only consume free range or self obtained meats(hunting, fishing, farm raising) would make just as much sense.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 1:06 PM on Nov. 5, 2010

• There is no tax on cow farts. Who runs around behind all of the cows and records how many times they fart? There are a lot more people in this country than cows. We produce a lot more farts than they do. Eating nothing but vegetables makes you fart more than eating meat (reference: the cow and beano commercials). This is all Al Gore global warming crap.
    jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 1:38 PM on Nov. 5, 2010

• The type of agriculture that this country uses, and that many others have adopted, involves taking large areas of land, destroying the natural landscape and planting crops that are not indigenous to the area. Those sorts of crops require more intervention to grow--more fertilizers, pesticides,etc. Add to that the waste that's involved in animal farming. . . and it doesn't take a rocket scientist to see where we're going wrong.

Rivers in the southeast have been polluted past the point of sustaining any life because of pig farms. That is one of the worst "industries" in terms of food production. Cows require about sixteen pounds of grain to produce one pound of meat to fatten them up for slaughter. Sixteen pounds of grain could go a long way to feed people, and it would take less farming to feed more if we weren't giving food to animals to slaughter to become food for us.

jsbenkert

Answer by jsbenkert at 1:40 PM on Nov. 5, 2010

• I agree with you on a good bit of that Sister, although people don't have to do without or live in caves to accomplish a lot. Most of the problem in the US comes from what people consider 'modern' mixed up with keeping up with the Jones'. What we've (DH and I) given up is conventional stick housing ~ we went with cordwood. Originally we chose cob, but given our physical limitations decided we might never get done. We grow most of what we eat, and the little that we don't we purchase from local farms. What we HAVE given up is imports ~ can't justify what the transportation does to everything. We grow bananas and some other tropical fruits, as well as coffee and cocoa. At the moment I still have cocoa which is good since we haven't quite mastered that yet lol. I also don't raise my own animal feed ... yet. That is planned however, but first we have to clear more acreage. I even grow rice ... in scavenged kiddie pools. cont.
    Farmlady09

Answer by Farmlady09 at 2:52 PM on Nov. 5, 2010

• If people really cared about the environment they would consume, buy, process the least amount possible from food, housing, transportation, goods and services. The typical American lifestyle is so far removed from living anywhere close to neutral, it's almost a waste of time and space to discuss.

Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 1:18 PM on Nov. 5, 2010

• The typical American lifestyle is so far removed from living anywhere close to neutral,

Agree- moderation is not one of our strengths is it?
    soyousay

Answer by soyousay at 1:20 PM on Nov. 5, 2010

• Absolutely not. Pasture raised meat and small (SMALL) organic farms were the norm for centuries. It is only since the advent of feedlots and huge VEGGIE factory farms ~ along with processed gunk that passes for food ~ that we have messed up the environment and our own health. Once we started raising sick animals for food, poisoning and altering our veggies/fruits, and turning all of it to powder (with less nutritional value than cardboard) we have had nothing but problems.

The ONLY healthy, sustainable food chain involves nature (plants AND animals), in season produce, and locally grown produce. If you can't live on a veggie diet that is locally grown you are part of the problem. All of the transportation does more to the environment than all of us could counter just by going veg.

Look up permaculture and sustainable farming and you'll start to get a much better idea of how things should be ~ even if you stay veg.
    Farmlady09

Answer by Farmlady09 at 1:25 PM on Nov. 5, 2010

• I think that vegetarianism could play a role. I disagree with NP on this issue.  There are things we can do without changing every bit of our lifestyles.  It doesn't have to be all or nothing.  We can take stock of what matters most to us, make changes where we can, eliminate unnecessary things, and make a difference. There is a movement underfoot that many people across the world are slowly accepting--that of buying locally grown and produced seasonal foods as much as possible, thus cutting down on the industrial farms and transportation of that produce. 

jsbenkert

Answer by jsbenkert at 1:35 PM on Nov. 5, 2010