Has anyone noticed that the squash and sweet potatoes seem dryer and denser this year?

PattyDG

Asked by PattyDG at 1:03 PM on Nov. 5, 2010 in Food & Drink

• It's the weather. The whole country has experienced a pretty dramatic change in seasonal weather this year so it's not surprising it's affected crops.
    Anonymous

• hmm.... depends on what region you are in. Some areas that experienced drought most definitely have seen the effects in their produce.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 1:05 PM on Nov. 5, 2010

• Yes. Even where I am (CA), we haven't had a drought this year, but it didn't get as hot as it normally does. In fact, during grape harvest this year (I live in wine country), most of the grapes were THROWN AWAY because they were too moldy. It didn't get super hot until right before harvest, and then it rained. So there are lot of concerns about root rot as well. I know the weird weather has really affected all kinds of crops, in addition to squash and potatoes.
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 1:21 PM on Nov. 5, 2010

• and more expensive
    luvschocolate

Answer by luvschocolate at 1:38 PM on Nov. 5, 2010

• I thought it was just me lol but yes they do I thought maybe there was a shortage and thats why they are so damned dry , its good to know Im not going crazy lol
    toybar02

Answer by toybar02 at 2:19 PM on Nov. 5, 2010

• Not here, we had a lot lo flooding and excess moisture. Ours have been very nice.
    Anonymous