i have unemployment for the next 4 months and thats it!! do i take a job with seasonal/part time hours and very little money or take a chance...

on getting to the end of my unemployment and still not having a job....???? i need to work full time to replace the unemployment....uugghhh!! so frustrating....im scared

mamagee1218

Asked by mamagee1218 at 1:05 PM on Nov. 5, 2010 in Money & Work

• In CA, if you work part time, they deduct what you make from your unemployment (50% or something like that), and so you kind of stretch out the time you have left (because it's based on an amount). It might be worth doing that and looking for a job while working part time and collecting unemployment. At least then you can delay it a bit more, and have something on your resume. Look and see if that's what they do in your state.
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 1:14 PM on Nov. 5, 2010

• I know in the state of Oregon, if you make less than 30 hours a week, you qualify for unemployment. So even with a part time job, you still get some benefits. good luck! Every state varies.
    sweet_love07

Answer by sweet_love07 at 1:08 PM on Nov. 5, 2010

• I don't know anything about unemployment, but my seasonal job at Macy's led to steady part time employment after the holidays, 21hrs/wk, and full time employment about 6 months after I was first hired. I didn't make a lot of money, but it was a paycheck. If you do go for seasonal employment, try to specialize in an area where they need help, but don't have a lot of volunteers. For me, that was the Childrens' Dept. It wasn't popular because they didn't make a lot of commission...but like I said, it paid the bills. Good luck.
    sojourner.

Answer by sojourner. at 1:24 PM on Nov. 5, 2010

• My advice would be to start looking now. Ideally, you should have a job lined up before the unemployment runs out. It's not meant to take the place of income, but rather to help you out until you find another job. There are tons of stores hiring for seasonal help right now. I know that Walmart hires and keeps the good people on after the holidays. Whatever job you do want to do, create a list and go door to door. Make them want to hire you!
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 3:05 PM on Nov. 5, 2010

• In TX you can still work part time and get unemployment. My son works contracts every so often and he still gets his unemployment unless he makes to much that period. I hope you find a full time job.
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 4:13 PM on Nov. 5, 2010

• Why not try a temp agency? Many of those jobs are temp to hire and they pay a lot better than retail.
    HotMama330

Answer by HotMama330 at 4:39 PM on Nov. 5, 2010