Natural sleep remedies?

I have been so exhausted during the day lately and not sleeping well at night. Can someone recommend something natural to take to help balance out my body clock. I've been trying to go to bed and get up at the same times.

luvschocolate

Asked by luvschocolate at 1:25 PM on Nov. 5, 2010 in Health

• Hyland's makes a natural sleep aid. I've never tried it b/c I don't have any sleep issues but it might be worth a shot.
    momoflilangel

Answer by momoflilangel at 1:50 PM on Nov. 5, 2010

• Melatonin, you can find it in the supplement aisle. It's a chemical that your body naturally produces, to help you sleep. Sometimes a person's body doesn't produce enough, or their body doesn't get the signals/cues that it needs to trigger production. It won't make you groggy in the morning, just talk to the pharmacist to figure out the dosage that you would need.
    ShadowRaven

Answer by ShadowRaven at 1:52 PM on Nov. 5, 2010

• Melatonin is good, but before you go that route, I would ask if you are taking a multi-vitamin.... if not it could help with the lack of energy during the day, because your body could be trying to tell you it is deficient on something. Take it in the morning or at lunchtime (WITH FOOD!), try this for about a week... if that still doesn't help, I would reccomend taking additional calcium at night with magnesium make sure that is not calcium carbonate, because that is the hardest one for your body to absorb, but the most prevelant one on the market. Before you try melatonin though, I would say try "hydroxytryptophan" or "5HTP".... because unlike melatonin, your body won't develop a dependency on it (meaning you would have to increase your dose for it to work), because it is an amino acid... (broken down protien), in fact the same one you find in Turkey (which is why so many people get sleepy at Thanksgiving.. that and the carbs)
    momof2redhedz

Answer by momof2redhedz at 6:10 PM on Nov. 5, 2010

• About 15 minutes of meditative yoga and deep breathing. I have even read that eating a banana works. One of my kids always has had a problem falling asleep. I'd give him a banana and it works everytime and then read about it on Webmd. Chamomile tea before bed. Get rid of the T.V. or computer in your room. Get a fan. Keep it cool and clean in your room...and always make your bed. Keep it dark. Your bedroom should be a tranquil place so do not have anything in there that reminds you of things that might get you thinking...like work, kids, bills. Only drink caffine in the A.M.
    Momforhealth

Answer by Momforhealth at 9:52 PM on Nov. 5, 2010

• i take 3 mg Melatonin almost every night to help me sleep. NO side effects, all natural, recommended by my pharmacist, available wherever you can buy vitamins
    QueenKathair

Answer by QueenKathair at 5:52 PM on Nov. 6, 2010

• try a red tea and what momof2redheads said..
    mamatiff06

Answer by mamatiff06 at 10:12 PM on Nov. 6, 2010

• try drinking warm glass of milk with alittle bit of honey if that doesn't work 2 shots of Tequila will do the job. GL
    Butterfly1108

Answer by Butterfly1108 at 12:55 AM on Nov. 7, 2010

• I think chamomile,valerian root,lavender,are all natural RUM always works for me but then I'm a LUSH so one shot.warm bath first!
    Caramel824

Answer by Caramel824 at 6:08 PM on Nov. 7, 2010

• Valerion root is very good and sleepy time tea works well too
    wheresthewayout

Answer by wheresthewayout at 12:30 AM on Nov. 8, 2010