I need help! What do I do? I will feel ssssooooo bad if they die!

My mom had to go to Florida on a last minute call to care for my sick grandma. She couldn't even take all her stuff. Just what she could get in her car. She had to leave like 8 cats at her home. I have taken them food, but the landlord will surely figure out soon that she is gone (no she did not tell him... I think she owes him money. And it isn't my job to tell him she is gone, nor do I plan to get in the middle of it.) and I don't know what he will do to the cats either. :(

I can't take them to my house. They all have fleas so no-one wants them. I can't afford to get them euthanized and would feel so bad doing that to them also (but I would if I had to).

Right now my only option is to leave them there to freeze, suffer and starve. :(

Called every animal shelter and animal control unit and they refuse to help me.

What do I do? Do I have any other options?

Memigen

Asked by Memigen at 1:25 PM on Nov. 5, 2010 in Pets

• Did you ask the rescue groups if they anyone in their network who might be able to help? Rescue groups and veterinarian's offices usually have lists of individuals or smaller groups who are willing to help out when the shelters are full. I don't know how large of an area you live in, but in my area, there is a huge group of animal lovers who frequent the PETS section on Craigslist and like offering advice or phone numbers of people who can help in urgent situations. (I'm not talking about soliciting new owners on craigslist, I mean possibly making a post in the Pets section to ask if anyone has some leads for you).
    Ultimately if none of these solutions work and you cannot do anything else, you may have to consider taking them to your county's animal control facility, where they will likely be euthanized. I personally do not recommend letting them outside to fend for themselves and breed if they're not fixed.
    vicesix

Answer by vicesix at 1:36 PM on Nov. 5, 2010

• Is your mom coming back anytime soon?
    vicesix

Answer by vicesix at 1:27 PM on Nov. 5, 2010

• Look for rescue groups in your area.
    FanciPantalones

Answer by FanciPantalones at 1:29 PM on Nov. 5, 2010

• why would an animal shelter refuse to take in animals who need a home? Have you called local vets to see if they have a better idea? How is your mom living with Flea infested cats?
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 1:30 PM on Nov. 5, 2010

• Animal Control will not come collect the cats, well, here they won't. You can take them to animal control and turn them over but they will more than likely be euthanized there. There are so many abandoned pets right now... If they are outside and clawed cats they will actually be fine on there own. They will find a place to hide and cuddle up from the cold they will hunt and not starve. A 'stray' cat can do quite well to take care of it's self. Unlike most dogs cans are very self sufficient. Cat's don't need people. People need cats. If you ae considering leaving them I do hope they are spayed so they don't multiply. If not try to find a non-profit place that can assist you with at least that.
    Anonymous

• Call animal control and say that there are abonded cats in a home.
    Shelii

Answer by Shelii at 1:30 PM on Nov. 5, 2010

• Definitely look for a rescue group. Where we live there are a few places that rescue animals, give them the care they need and then foster them until they can be adopted.
    KelliW29

Answer by KelliW29 at 1:30 PM on Nov. 5, 2010

• No kill shelter you can take them too... I would just take them all in and leave them there... Like run away kinda deal... That's awful!!! Like horribly awful!
    littlestar85257

Answer by littlestar85257 at 1:32 PM on Nov. 5, 2010

• There are only two rescue groups I could find and they are full. :( I am almost in tears here because I'm freaking out.

And no, she can't afford to come back because she had to quit her job to leave and doesn't have another one yet, and wonders if she will be able to leave my grandma long enough to even get a job. :(

Social security and other family help to pay my grand mother's bills... but there isn't enough money to use to get back here and I can't afford to loan it to her.
    Memigen

Comment by Memigen (original poster) at 1:32 PM on Nov. 5, 2010

• "why would an animal shelter refuse to take in animals who need a home? Have you called local vets to see if they have a better idea? How is your mom living with Flea infested cats? "

They all say they are full. She gave them treatments, but then again she lives in conditions I would never dream of also. She says she 'doesn't notice it'. I hated going to her house because it reeks of cat poop and ciggarette smoke amongst other unknown smells. Yes, my mother is disgusting. :( I hate to say that, but it happens to be true. That's why I moved out when I was like 15 and in with my friends.
    Memigen

Comment by Memigen (original poster) at 1:34 PM on Nov. 5, 2010